• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rocco scared of Flies and Mosquitoes

cubbys

Rocco is now 2 years old. when he was a pup he got bit by a mosquito and when he turn around to see what hurt him he saw a something fly away. Could it be that he remembers that and now when ever he sees flies he panics and hides behind me. You should see him, i'll video tape him. He actually jumps up and tries to eat them. Its funny but sad. they're are driving him crazy. Has anyone heard of this before.

Steph & Caroline

Two of my dogs do this- it's a game to them! ;) and I think this is very normal for MOST dogs to run around trying to catch bugs, flies, mosquitos, butterflies, etc.

Yes, my cavalier will chase flies. When they are on the window trying to get out, Buster will attack.

It is not that they may be afraid, they may find it fun, or challenging. I wouldn't worry, but I would love to see a video to see what you are talking about.

I do not want to alarm you but there is a disease found in Cavaliers called Fly Catchers Syndrome. It is a compulsive-type behaviour in which they try to catch imaginary flies by snapping at them. It is one thing if your dogs do this occasionally trying to catch real bugs that you can see (one of my Clumbers does this, she also follows ants across the deck!), but something else if it is more frequent and you suspect flies really are not there. Here is a link to some information: http://www.cavalierhealth.org/flycatchers.htm.

Back