PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil

patg
19th June 2009, 04:59 PM
What kind and how much fish oil do you give your pups?? I have a 2 1/2 yr B&T male who weighs 23 lbs. Thanks, Pat

Dublin
19th June 2009, 05:08 PM
I buy boots 'essentials' (cheapy!) cod liver oil - it's a much lower dose than their 'normal' range & half the price!

I also give my two tinned sardines (in oil) & keep the pil from the tin to add to their meals where they have no oils.

chloe92us
19th June 2009, 06:04 PM
I use "Grizzly" salmon oil. It comes with a pump on the bottle and I give one squirt per dog.

Brian M
19th June 2009, 07:59 PM
Hi
Very similar to chloe except in the Uk its Kronch Salmon Oil one squirt over each meal.

waldor
19th June 2009, 08:55 PM
Lipiderm gelcaps are the cheapest, easy to find (big box chain pet stores) , and easiest to give..
Our Sophie won't take them in any shape, form or fashion, so we give her NaturVet brand liquid on the food and she gobbles it up. http://www.petguys.com/-797801036120.html

http://www.petmedstore.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000004/Salmon-Oil.jpg

MadPip
19th June 2009, 10:06 PM
Hi
Very similar to chloe except in the Uk its Kronch Salmon Oil one squirt over each meal.

Grizzly salmon oil is available in the UK as well. Can't remember exactly where I last got it from, but there's a link to it from the agilitynet site. I'm not sure how the price compares with Kronch.

patg
20th June 2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I was looking at the Grizzly Salmon oil so I might go that way. I appreciate your input.
Pat & Riley

Dublin
20th June 2009, 06:31 PM
can I just ask what the difference is for using salmon oil?

i give cold liver oil for joints & coat - whats the salmon oil for?

Karlin
20th June 2009, 06:35 PM
I use Kronch salmon oil too, from www.paddypaw.co.uk. Just a singe squirt daily or a few times a week, for cavalier sized dogs.

chloe92us
20th June 2009, 07:55 PM
Sonia- They probably do the same thing. The Omega 3 in the oil is great for their skin, coat, and for organ (heart) health. Check your cod liver oil and see what it says.

The only thing is all our dogs have fish breath! But secretly I kinda like it. :o

Brian M
20th June 2009, 08:02 PM
Sonia
The salmon oil helps them swim better of course.:)

Sunflowerstar
20th June 2009, 08:05 PM
I use Yumega oil for my two. I used to use pet tabs but heard and read so many good things about Yumega Oil I decided to give it a try. My two have only been on it for two weeks and I can already see a difference to thier coats.

arasara
21st June 2009, 02:17 AM
I also use grizzly salmon oil for my two - they absolutely LOVE IT! :)

I give them each a squirt once a day.

Dublin
1st July 2009, 03:45 PM
Sonia
The salmon oil helps them swim better of course.:)

Ha ha ha !!! I ordered a bottle of the Kronch from ebay - it came this morning so will try that with Sparky as I want to improve his coat!

Sunflowerstar - I tried the yumega for a few months & to be honest I didnt see any improvement at all. I still have a whole bottle of it as I bought 3 coz of the postage!

Sunflowerstar
4th July 2009, 11:19 PM
Ha ha ha !!! I ordered a bottle of the Kronch from ebay - it came this morning so will try that with Sparky as I want to improve his coat!

Sunflowerstar - I tried the yumega for a few months & to be honest I didnt see any improvement at all. I still have a whole bottle of it as I bought 3 coz of the postage!

I am surprised to hear that Dublin. My Dotty's fur was so dull after her spay in December and Ziggy had a little dandruf so I decided to try it on them. Its made a huge difference to my two and we are only half way down our first bottle. Dots coat shines again now and Ziggy's dandruff has gone. I groom them everyday and not so much come off now.
Today I was asked what shampoo I use on them because thier coats are so shiny. Both have not been bathed since April.

Dublin
6th July 2009, 04:51 PM
Weird, but I guess every dog is differant! My kronch salmon oil arrived late last week so we're giving that a go now

Molly's mom
6th July 2009, 06:21 PM
How do you counteract the "fishy breath". I find it almost unbearable...:grnyuk:

waldor
6th July 2009, 06:27 PM
How do you counteract the "fishy breath". I find it almost unbearable...

The brand I posted about (on page 1) is fairly odorless. I only smell fish when Sophie's ears drag in her food. I need to make her a snood.

chloe92us
6th July 2009, 06:47 PM
I like the fishy breath smell! :o