• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ticks

James

Today I found a small tick crawling on Ben after a walk along a tarred road. I managed to get it off, but had I not spotted it, it would most certainly have bit into him. This is the third tick this year but what I am shocked at this time is that he had not been on any grass, only on tar, they must be really bad in Scotland this year, we were next to a field of sheep and their are a lot of roe deer in the area.
It looks like walks will be confined to the village pavements until the end of summer.

We've been plagued with them here too. I had our two up the forest 2 weeks ago, when we got back to the car I picked 4 of them off Misty. They hadn't attached themselves yet, but come on 4!

Then last week Murphy came in from his morning walk, settled on the couch with me, and I discovered one attached just beside his ear :mad:

Hi

Are they a problem all over the UK ,as in a couple of weeks we are up in the Lake District so I will have to check I am prepared.:confused:

Brian I think they are. It was on the news warning people to check themselves are they are biting humans, who can contract Lymes disease:eek:

There was one poor woman who didn't even realise she'd been bitten, and has contracted the disease:(

I had one on my foot,i had to let him drink and wait till it fell off,then i got him,SQUISHED.

I have heard that they are bad in the states as well. A friend took her Beagles camping for the weekend & ended up coming home early because she was tired of pulling off ticks. I check my boys after every trip outside.

We have a lot of ticks in our area of Maryland.
Frontline Plus took care of them for about 5 years and then we had to switch to Advantix about a year ago (Frontline inexplicably stopped working).
Be careful!
Deer ticks carry Lyme and these ticks are extremely small and often go unnoticed.
I had a large "bullseye" (Lyme) rash after being bitten a couple years ago.
Please use good judgement when walking in wooded areas
(tuck your pants legs into your socks and use repellent to ward the little buggers off). Make sure your little guys are treated with a good product.

We are in Scotland last week in August. And the cottage we are renting stands in its own 19 acre woodland. Thanks for the warning.
So what is the point of having all these treatments if ticks still can course damage? Like I use stronghold on mine.
And as we are on the subject of creepy crawlies when is it midgis season in Scotland?

They are here in South Derbyshire found one on Jake last week
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

This is so interesting to me, because I never knew the UK and Ireland had ticks! :eek: I've never thought about it while traipsing around golf courses, old cemeteries, and sheep fields to see standing stones over there. I've always worn slacks & socks so perhaps that's why I've not gotten a tick. Maybe I'll pack bug spray for our next trip.

They dont bother me at all,but there is a nasty sickness you can get and i think it can kill humans.

Hi

Pls remind me as I have never seen one whats the best way to remove them safely for the girls if the need arises ,I think I have some items in my Cavvy first aid kit including a little tool thingy to prise them off.:confused:

We found one on Ozzy a couple of weeks ago; after having dogs for years and never finding one. People at agility seem to be finding more as well. I wonder if it's because Frontline, etc is becoming ineffective? We've got tick removers - shaped like a little crowbar. Not had to use it yet, but hopefully can get it to work should we need to!

We are in Scotland last week in August. And the cottage we are renting stands in its own 19 acre woodland. Thanks for the warning.
So what is the point of having all these treatments if ticks still can course damage? Like I use stronghold on mine.
And as we are on the subject of creepy crawlies when is it midgis season in Scotland?

We're going up to Scotland in 3 weeks, and I have the frontline spray ready for when it's needed.
Like you I use Stronghold on my dogs, but it doesn't work against ticks, only fleas, biting lice, and some worms, as I found out last year. :(
I've spoken to the vet and we're continuing with stronghold for the flea prevention (frontline stopped working) and taking the frontline spray for the ticks.

Hi

Pls remind me as I have never seen one whats the best way to remove them safely for the girls if the need arises ,I think I have some items in my Cavvy first aid kit including a little tool thingy to prise them off.:confused:

My vet tells me the secret is to use the tool to "unscrew" the tick not prise of as this will leave the head in.
I have only done this successfully on a tick embedded in my old cat but I used a Swedish trix lasso tool. When I got a tick on Ben in April and bought both the lasso and the crowbar tools and thankfully I have not had to try them out on him.

Hi

The best way is to remove the HEAD with a pair of tweezers. Make sure you remove the head because if you just pull, the body will separate leaving the head still attached.:grnyuk:

Back