• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Large patches of Dry Skin

arasara

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with your cavaliers having large patches of dry flaky skin on their backs? Faith has an area on her back that is patches of dry skin. It gets in her hair and flakes off and looks like dandruff. It drives me nuts. She's had it for close to a year now :)eek:) and I can't seem to fix it. I took her to the vet and the vet gave me some medicated shampoo *centriclenz - not sure on the spelling but that's how it sounds :lol:* to shampoo her with once a week and it didn't correct the problem. I've recently started giving her fish oil again religiously but it hasn't been long enough to make a difference I don't think. She's on Orijen 6 fish and all of her other hair looks great, it's just that one patch on the lower back.

The vet did say that it doesn't seem to be mites or something contagious and maybe she just has "dry skin" - that basically it's an aesthetic problem. She doesn't seem to itch but it bothers me - if my skin was flaking like that I wouldn't like it. I can't help but think it's not normal - but then again, I've only ever had 1 other cavalier, and he doesn't have this problem.

I'm just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this kind of thing and if so, what did you do? I'm almost at the point where I'm going to ask to be referred to a dermatologist. I don't think it's her food, but maybe I should try switching to a different protein source for a while and see if it makes a difference? :huh:

Lily has this and always has. It is pretty common from what I have been told. My vets said it is very hard to determine the cause; some dogs just have mild skin problems just as people do. you can try shampoos etc and they may help a bit. I really wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't bother Lily at all and it if doesn't bother Faith I just think she probably has a mild skin issue just like people who get patches of exzema.

You could try evening primrose oil:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/vet_answers.asp?thread_id=1029

Back