• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reactive dogs and what we do wrong!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great article -- though I wouldn't want to be Rachel! :lol:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/2225

More seriously it helps explain why so many times people not only don't improve unwanted behaviour by the most typical owner responses but actually make it worse! Sometimes you need to think about how the picture looks from a dog point of view.

I agree that this is an excellent article. I love Karen Pryor's website. I would really love to go to one of her Clicker Expos. In our agility class, our instructor is always telling us to look at the course through the dog's eye to see what he/she is seeing. This is another excellent example of experiencing what our dog's experience. It would certainly make me a better trainer to walk a few miles "in my dogs' collars".
J.

A simple but brilliant article. Having just got back from the morning walk, and recognising some of Rachel's behaviours in myself, I guess it's time to rethink how I approach things.:eek:

Although if your dog is pulling across to another dog, even if you are not correcting it the lead is tight and is the same as the point that was being made isnt it? you cant really approach another dog with your dog on a loose leash if they are happy to see each other, they will naturally be pulling and the leash tight. :bang:

There's a difference though between jerking the dog back and scolding, and just a tight leash due to a happy dog. :) I never use leash corrections anyway myself though.

If a dog is trained to walk on a loose lead they shouldn't pull regardless, even if going over to greet a dog they are friendly with. But as always easier in concept than reality! :eek:

Back