PDA

View Full Version : Food dehydrator

Kizzys Mum
21st June 2009, 03:14 PM
Does anyone have one of these? I'm thinking of getting one, mainly to make dog treats! Looking for brand recommendations, advice, etc. Thanks :)

Phoebe
21st June 2009, 06:23 PM
I didn't even know you could buy one of these. Please let us know if you get one. You could make all sorts of treats for the doglets. Wonder what it would be like at making dried liver treats, etc?

harleyfarley
21st June 2009, 08:00 PM
ebay have them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hottop-Food-Dehydrator-KN-128E-food-drier-dehydrating_W0QQitemZ200317328739QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item2ea3d7dd63&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A6|72%3A1686|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A24

Kizzys Mum
21st June 2009, 08:33 PM
I've ordered this one http://www.juiceland.co.uk/item--Stockli-Timer-Dehydrator-with-Steel-Trays--STTIMERSS.html It's a bit more expensive than the one you suggested Di, but has variable temperature and a timer, so I don't have to be there to turn it off! I'm quite looking forward to trying it out - meat and veg treats with no additives or anything! Hopefully it'll be a worthwhile investment - I'll let you know how we get on...

arasara
21st June 2009, 09:09 PM
I don't have one personally but I have used one before, and sweet poatoes made wonderful chewies :o Good luck!

Phoebe
21st June 2009, 10:29 PM
Quite liked the sound of them.............until I saw the price!!!:shock:
Perhaps when I'm feeling a bit more flush:)

Mindysmom
22nd June 2009, 02:46 AM
I have a dehydrator that I use for tomatoes and apples from my garden mainly. It's never occurred to me to make dog treats but now I might.

harleyfarley
22nd June 2009, 12:27 PM
I've ordered this one http://www.juiceland.co.uk/item--Stockli-Timer-Dehydrator-with-Steel-Trays--STTIMERSS.html It's a bit more expensive than the one you suggested Di, but has variable temperature and a timer, so I don't have to be there to turn it off! I'm quite looking forward to trying it out - meat and veg treats with no additives or anything! Hopefully it'll be a worthwhile investment - I'll let you know how we get on...

Nice one, i just picked one, there was quite a few on there and at least you had some idea of price. Hope it goes great, might get one if you inspire me. di

Heritage Cavaliers
22nd June 2009, 01:00 PM
I have used one before to make beef jerky and it worked wonderfully! I never thought about dog treats either –great idea!!

I will look to see if I still have my old one in the attic – I don’t remember the brand but it lasted several years.

This makes me want to dig it out again!!

annie121
23rd June 2009, 12:19 AM
I bought a Nesco food dehydrator (from www.amazon.com) to specifically make dog treats and so far, it's great! I've made sweet potato and chicken jerky for them and they love it. And I love the fact that I know every ingredient going into their treats. I think it's a good investment considering how expensive dehydrated treats are and you don't know where it was made/manufactured most of the time.