• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feathering round pads

sugarkane74

Whilst Star was staying at my parents they took her to my aunts who told them to tell me that I should trim the fur on her pads as it will cause her pads to rot if I don't.

Can someone advise me on this? Haven't heard of this before and if it's true wouldn't want to do it myself coz Star is a right little madam when it's comes to grooming! She's got to have her booster jabs at the end of the month so if it is something that needs doing will see if the vet can do it for her... or maybe a trip to a dog parlour is in order!

I've never heard that about hairy feet harming their pads, but I do trim my girls feet between her pads. I wait until she's really tired and can't be bothered to make a fuss! I think it helps her to cope with the wooden floors that we have as they can be quite slippy. It also reduces the amount of mud and wet etc she walks in from the garden. I never poke between the pads, just trim them a bit with a pair of round ended scissors.
Her slippers were getting ridiculously long as well, so I also trim those, I just think it makes life a bit easier for her and me :)

I trim the fur between the pads – mostly to help with traction. However, I have noticed that they will also wear the fur down naturally. I use a small hand held trimmer like you would use for a man’s beard.

I have not heard of the fur itself causing any problems, however, I do know that you must check feet often (even if trimmed) because stickers and burs can easily become lodged in the fur become matted and cause problems. ~j

I'd echo above and add that when the hair is heavy it is easy to also miss glass or something that might have become embedded in the areas between paw pads. Also gum etc can easily get caught. And they can skid around on slippery floors or even stumble and slide on carpeted stairs. I can't imagine feet would actually rot though! :)

Thanks for that everyone.. my aunt does come out with some strange stuff!!
Will have a go at trimming them a bit myself when she's tired herself out after a run. Seems to be the only time I can attempt to groom her, little rascal!

Back