• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

People need to have the tissues ready for the scenes of Cavaliers with SM and the Boxer fitting etc.
Also, put everything out of reach that you may feel like throwing at the television when some certain people are interviewed!;)

YOU MUST WATCH IT, OR AT LEAST TAPE IT, without this programme everyone would still be going what sm then, never heard of it, di

Hi Di

Even though I have no excuse I am afraid I ducked watching it when it was on TV here ,I kinda of have this philosophy of facing problems as and when they occur rather than the more logical approach of learning what you can when available ,I am probably totally naive with this attitude but I think theres enough bad around without seeking it ,thats just me. So I shall continue in my innocence and just hope I never experiance this horrid problem.

Last edited:
Hi Di

Even though I have no excuse I am afraid I ducked watching it when it was on TV here ,I kinda of have this philosophy of facing problems as and when they occur rather than the more logical approach of learning what you can when available ,I am probably totally naive with this attitude but I think theres enough bad around without seeking it ,thats just me. So I shall continue in my innocence and just hope I never experiance this horrid problem.

coward :swear: lol. guess we deal with things differently and it wont change anything only make you more aware just how awful this can be, people say to me it cant be that bad, or ive never seen a dog suffering with it, i say well LUCKY YOU. i know you are aware brian so ill let you off, not knowing wont make it go away unfortunately, but if i hadnt seen the videos i would never have pushed the vet to get harley scanned. di

The beauty of PDE is public awareness of what has gone wrong in man's manipulation of dog breeds. Reality is not sometimes pleasing. I have been many times at the Vet's Office when a breeder of English Bulldogs comes in with female dogs for AI (artificial insemination) and this AI is not just for the best of breed sperm it is a necessity because these dogs cannot physically breed without human interference. Later the same dogs will come in for Caesarians because they cannot deliver pups without human interference. of course, later the pups come in for dewclaw removal and whatever else needs to be done. Same Vet-French bulldog breeder came in this past week with a pup and requested ears to be "fixed" and stated "if they can't be fixed put it down ". This whole business makes you weep. I am so glad that PDE was produced and shown and I hope that it will be shown here in the US many,many times until it sinks in that we have to do a whole lot better for the animals entrusted to us and that everyone who cares about animals needs to do their best to help with change.

Omg

I just watched the entire documentary on you tube. It was not only frightening but offensive. My heart breaks for those poor dogs affected by SM and I am praying that my dogs never have to suffer this way. I was offended by the breeders and those in positions that can make changes total denial of their involvement in this problem. :mad:

YOU MUST WATCH IT, OR AT LEAST TAPE IT, without this programme everyone would still be going what sm then, never heard of it, di
No don't misunderstand... I am thrilled that they are airing it and think everyone should be made aware of these horrors. I tell people about it any chance I get.

I just can't bear to see an animal suffer, that's why I am not watching it. I know how horrible it is. :( :mad:

In Dogs Today blog (y)

The RSPCA has given their highest accolade, the Richard Martin Award, to Jemima Harrison for making the BBC One documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed. It is the first time the Award has been given to a film-maker.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed, which aired on BBC One last August to an audience of four million, highlighted health and welfare problems in pedigree dogs and led to the BBC suspending its coverage of Crufts after more than 40 years. The programme also led to the RSPCA, Dogs Trust and the PDSA pulling out of Crufts and three major reviews of dog-breeding in the UK. Soon after the broadcast, and in the face of continued pressure, the Kennel Club announced a raft of changes, including the revision of many breed standards and the banning of mother-to-son, father-to-daughter and sister-to-brother matings.

“Jemima's commitment ensured the programme was completed, often in the face of abuse from hostile individuals and groups, and the impact was enormous, igniting a ground-breaking debate about pedigree dog welfare,” says RSPCA Chief Executive Mark Watts.

The citation reads: “To Jemima Harrison, for her commitment to the welfare of pedigree dogs”.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed was commissioned by Richard Klein. Executive producer was Eamon Hardy for the BBC. Jemima and her cameraman partner Jon Lane made the film through Passionate Productions, which they run from their thatched cottage in rural Wiltshire. The couple has five dogs of their own, a mix of pedigree and crossbreeds.

“We’re the tiniest independent on the planet, and we’re very proud of what we have been able to achieve with Pedigree Dogs Exposed,” says Jemima, who is currently working on related projects.

Last year Jemima and brave Cavalier owner and campaigner Carol Fowler were invited to attend the Women of the Year Lunch in recognition of their efforts. This documentary has moved the debate along considerably and I'm sure the future health of dogs has already been much improved as a consequence.

http://www.coldwetnose.blogspot.com/

Back