PDA

View Full Version : Need advise I think rex riped open where he just got fixed.



luvhavinbgtwins
28th June 2009, 12:00 AM
ok its been 6 days the doc said to keep the collar/cone on him for 7 days well he hasnt been licking so I had some things to do so I put him in his crate for an hour alone...w/out cone thought he would be fine. I got him out carryed him outside to go to the bathroom then I seen ....I know he has stich on the inside and liquid stich on the outside....but it looked like he chewed the liquid one off....it looked like it might of bleed a little but...you can see the cut open but its not bleeding at all....it just looks gross...has anyone ever had this happen I mean it was only 1 day before I was supposed to keep the it off....should it be ok???

Thanks

luvhavinbgtwins
28th June 2009, 01:18 AM
ok I didnt pull anything apart but from the time I posted till now it looks closed now....I have no idea..I am sure its not but its not bleeding at all you wouldnt even have noticed anything different.....mybe he just licked the liquid one off and it should be fine..I sure hope so..he is not in pain or anything....so I will watch and see but I would like to know what you think.

thx

Lani
28th June 2009, 01:27 AM
Why don't you call a local emergency vet and describe what has happened? They will tell you if it is something you need to come in for or if it can wait until Monday.

mellie
28th June 2009, 03:57 AM
Please see the vet ASAP! My neighbor's dog did the same thing. She called and they told her to bring her in, so she got everything ready to go, and the dog followed her to the car, and went down one small step (maybe a 6 inch step down) and the dog screamed. She looked at her and her incision had opened completely and her intestines were bulging out. She scooped her up and came to my house so I could drive them to the emergency vet clinic, by the time we got there she was screaming in pain. They sedated her immediately to get a better look. It was as bad as it could get. The vet said her intestines and organs were completely out and exposed and had torn away from the abdomen. Due to a high risk of infection, and very painful and traumatic recovery if she did survive the surgery, my friend made the painful decision to euthanize her baby. It was a week after her spay, and there was only one little stitch that came loose. But it pulled the rest of the sutures loose. I am so much more proactive with any type of surgery/sutures since this has happened. It was one of the most traumatic and sad situations I have been seen. I would rather be safe than sorry! Just my opinion! Good luck!

lorebringer
28th June 2009, 10:12 AM
Why don't you call a local emergency vet and describe what has happened? They will tell you if it is something you need to come in for or if it can wait until Monday.

Good idea.

I have had dogs do this and they were fine, but getting a vets opinion will confirm if there is any need to go further and also put your mind at ease.