• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking

freesia

Our Barney barks as soon as he goes into the yard and won't stop. He is two yrs old now. Next door have three dogs in their yard, they live outside, we both have very small yards.(Terraced house) They used to bark all the time, not so bad this last couple of weeks though.
Barney cannot see them but you can see him sniffing where they are. They are all bitches and as far as I am aware they have not been done. They got a letter off the council because of them barking, I'm frightened that we will get one for Barney. Even though theirs bark during the night with being outside. I even got a bark collar which I didn't want to get and which seemed to work to start with but not so much now. I don't really like it.
Even after a long walk, he wants to go out in the yard but it's just to bark. It's difficult now because we need the door open with it being so hot.

Think it's made me a bit worried because my neighbour shouted out that it wasn't just her dogs that barked, Barney started that round off. She is right, Barney barks during the day when he is in the yard. But there are some others as well that have their dogs outside and they bark during the night as well.
I think they might of got the letter because when they went on holiday the dogs howled and barked constant.
I don't know if I'm doing the right thing but I'm telling Barney to be quiet and praise him when he is, just wish he would be quiet.
Anyone got any suggestions please.

We have a small garden with a fence with gaps between the planks (I'm in a rented house so can't do anything about it) which backs on to a small car park and footpath. Oliver peers through the fence and barks at passing dogs. I started giving him a small treat whenever he came in from the garden in response to my telling him to be quiet and calling him in, so now if he barks for more than a few minutes, I can call him in and he will rush to the treats tin, clearly saying 'Aren't I good - where's the treat'! Sometimes the greed of Cavaliers can work for us! You may have to go out and put your dog on the lead a few times to get him to come in away from the barking match - and then be lavish with the praise and treats. You have to make coming in more desirable than the pleasure of barking!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thank you Kate, he def likes his treats, he has already brought two crisp packets and a piece of plastic to me (untidy kids) for treats. Will keep trying with the barking issue and hope we get somewhere with it.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor's dogs.
I have a similar situation, although we live in a rural area and there is somewhat of a distance between my neighbor's property and mine.
Our "neighbors" have breeding standard poodles and when they moved into our area, they installed an "electric fence" around the perimeter of their property and cut a "doggy hatch" into their door.
The poodles (all 4 to 7 to them) go in and out whenever they please, at all hours of the night.
It's not unusual to hear them barking (most likely at a wild animal) at 1:00 to 3:00 AM. The last time this happened, their explanation for the noise was that they were "out of town" and their son was taking care of the dogs.. These people live just outside of our community, so they are not restricted by our homeowner association rules.
We have called them a few times (late at night when the barking was taking place) and they usually just let their phone ring.

Some people just have no regard or concern for their neighbors.
It sounds like you are a good "mother" and care about your Cav's barking problem. I'm sure you will get it under control.

Oh dear...u poor thing!! Before I moved house I was in a built up area where u could hear the neighbours conversations (even the v quiet ones)..when I got my pup u can imagine their delight!!! I'm not 100% sure on the noise laws, but i think that between something like 9am and 9 or 10pm its not too bad??? (again, im not sure). when harry would decide to start barkin late at night or durin the night at the wind or something else silly,id try and muffle the sound by puttin him under the duvet, but this generally ended up with me in giggles and him barkin more, so then id have to throw on my tracksuit and take him to the park for a few mins...prob not the brightest of ideas for a girl on her own..but it was either that or have the neighbours complain!
That being said...i spent a lot of money on bottles of wine and boxes of chocs too...just ensurin to keep the peace!! :)
Goodluck!! The treats are a great idea..must keep that in mind

Back