• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dental care

renate

my bella's gums have a tendency to inflammation. they will turn red and tender, and her mouth will smell very disagreably.
she gets the same food and chew-things as the other three, and their teeth and gums are in good condition, i brush them once or twice/week

right now i brush bella's teeth every day with Colgate mouthwash (for humans) diluted with water.

can anybody recommend something better, or specifically made for dogs? and does it matter at all whether its for dogs or humans?

Misty had a sore inflamed gum, and very bad breath, when I took her to the vet she had an infection. In the end up they removed 3 teeth. I'd think about taking Bella to the vets for a check :)

We are using 'beaphar tooth gel' at the moment to get our dogs used to us working in their mouth without a toothbrush first. I think 'beaphar' also make a toothpaste.

As far as I know, human mouth products are not good for animals. Not sure what is available in Denmark for doggy mouthcare. the red swollen gums and foul breath usually mean infection and a visit to your Vet as soon as possible. :drivecar: One big problem with infected gums is the influence on the heart-not good-seems the bacteria for gum disease also likes to attack the heart :(. Possible when you see the Vet they will have a product to get you started but you should get the Vet visit first and go from there.

thank you both for your answers.

bellas gums are not inflamed, or infected any more. i saw the vet as soon as this started.
the vet says to rub her gums and teeth gently with a gauze pad, no toothpaste or any other 'remedy'. this does seem to help, and i was just wondering if there is something i can use, to make it sort of extra good for her. :)

Hi renate

Have a look at a post by Louise1823 on the 22 nd May called Toothpaste Recommendation and my reply which lists my collection of products and my nightly routine .:)

Back