• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yelping (in pain?)

svidmar

Our 11 month old Blenheim cavalier hurt her right hind leg while chasing a ball. This happened about 2 months ago. The vet x'rayed the leg, found a patellar luxation but did not think that this accounted for the pronounced limp. The vet diagnosed a ligament tear and recommended rest for 2 weeks.

She seems to have fully recovered, no more limping. But today she was lying down on her right side on our carpet when she suddenly sat up and began ear splitting, long, howling yelps for about a minute. She wasn't biting at anything, just sitting there howling. Then she stopped and jumped up on the couch to be with us, which she's allowed to do. I gently manipulated her leg to see if it was sensitive, but it didn't seem to be.

We had a similar episode with her about 2 weeks ago. It makes sense that it's related to the leg, but she doesn't favor it at all, even right after these episodes.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to handle this if it happens again? Should we take her to the vet? I don't know what they could do since this happens so seldom.

Thanks,

Svidmar

Hi,
If I were you I'd take her to the vet and explain what happened. There are many reasons for this but if she's yelping then some thing is obviously wrong.
It is probably best to get her looked at.........good luck

Mel

I would think that any dog giving ear splitting, long, howling yelps is in considerable pain.

From your description it happened when she is lying still, not when she was moving, so it may not be caused by the torn ligament.

I would suggest you keep a note of these episodes and take her back to the vet if it happens again

Be sure your vet (and you) are aware of the symtpoms of syringomyelia:

www.smcavalier.com

http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/faq.htm

As Margaret says, yelping like that is definitely an indication of considerable pain. If it isn't the ligament -- which seems unlikely as she wasn't doing anything at the time -- you want to watch very closely for any further issues and start looking for causes. There are various things to eliminate but a vet needs to be aware of the high rate of SM in this breed, where yelping in pain, particularly for no obvious reason, is a common symptom. Hopefully it was something totally unrelated and won't recur. :xfngr:

how easy is it to hurt their legs.s i hold onto the paws when doing the nails and let him tug away and whimper ..and hold on until he stops and gets over it..he only whimpers because he is stressed...
but i don't want to twist his paw..i know it is fragile.

Indytulip-perhaps this is not the kindest way to teach a puppy to have its nails done!!!!!!!!

There are a number of methods much better than the one your trainer taught you, if you are willing to try them you can ask for advice here. You may need to start another thread though as this is a thread someone else started for advice and is going off topic :)

I would like to suggest find yourself another trainer!!

Last edited:
Back