• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Cavalier in Mississippi

toby

Just brought my new 5 month old puppy home yesterday. His name is Toby and he is wonderful. His disposition is the greatest! Training is going great! No accidents yet! He follows my every move. I am in love with breed! :)

I am feeding him Natural Balance Duck and Potato. Any feedback. He seems to be doing great on it, but some of the reviews on their website don't sound good.

Welcome and bet you are enjoying your new pup!

Feeding is one of the single most subjective and disputed areas of dog and cat care. It is also one in which people with no background or real knowledge in nutrition hold forth, sometimes in a dangerous way, as to what is right and wrong. So beware about reviews and opinions in this area especially the 'there's only one way to do things' points of view. Just pick your way with caution and don't feel too intimidated. (y)

Personally, I think dogs will do fine on most commercial foods and they are mandated to meet minimum nutrition standards, but I do think supermarket foods are a bit substandard (eg they are cheap because ingredients they use are cheap). On the other hand, I'd never pay some of the premium prices for the most expensive foods and find what many advertise as 'natural' or wolflike' diets laughable -- I've never heard that wolves dine on seaweed, cranberries, etc etc (check out some of the ingredients lists on these foods and they sound like an expensive trendy human restaurant! :) ) . But that's me -- others feel the cost brings benefits they value.

I like a good quality, medium-priced dry food supplemented with some homecooked meals, some occasional raw meals, and various additions to make meals more fresh, balanced and interesting (fresh fruit and veg in particular is beneficial to dogs). I think it is questionable and possibly detrimental to oversupplement.

There's lots of info on feeding and also many suggestions for adding items or doing homecooked or raw, in the Library section.

I like to rotate kibble types (once one bag finishes, not at the same time!). So no reason you cannot try a different quality kibble next bag around.

Hello to Toby and owner, im new to this site and new to the breed , My boy is called Toby hes 3 yrs old. only had him a week and feels like hes always been here. such a good boy. enjoy Lisa and Toby x :smile:

Welcome to the board! About food choices, I am one of those people who have tried just about every food with my crew and found one that I love and have stuck with it. It is one of those with seaweed & cranberries! ;) and is very expensive...BUT...the benefits to my dogs outweighs the cost. On the other hand, my youngest cannot tolerate the high protein levels so he gets a mix of foods- I've fed Natural Balance, Fromm, Wellness, and everything else. The bottom line is whatever works for YOUR dog, is the best food to feed your dog!

Welcome Toby (and Toby's owner!!)icon_welcome

I've heard good things about Natural Balance. I know that people often post more negative than positive - I agree with Karlin about a wide variety of opinions...and everyone seems to 'weigh' in on this topic. (Pardon the pun!) :lol:

We've had Rudy on Royal Canin since we got him (also at about 5 mos.) I switched him to their indoor adult small dog kibble when he started gaining a bit of weight. He did very well on it. Recently we've tried some new foods - Halo and Canidae-grain free (the latter on recommendation of a specialty pet bakery owner). We'll see how it goes. The shop owner is just around the corner from my office, so it is more convenient than going to Petsmart for Royal Canin, but we often use a trip to Petsmart as a chance to 'socialize'.

I always enjoy reading about people's food choices for their dogs. I should pay as much attention to my own diet!!

Welcome to the board. We feed our dogs Innova Evo small bites with a little sweet potato added.

Looking foreward to some photos!

Heather R

I have been feeding my girls Natural Balance Potato and Duck as well. They like it, but not as much as the Blue Chicken and Brown Rice. I found that the LID- (limited ingred. diet) helps with Bella's yeast eye issues. That is why I switched from Blue. My friend had her dog on it and the eye issues resolved, her vet said could have been an allergy to a grain in the other food she was using. Anyway... welcome to the board! You will learn tons of info here you will never get anywhere else! THey offer tons of support as well!:wink: Hope you enjoy!

I have tried many different foods from the very expensive to the not so expensive. When I first got Remus the breeder gave my a bag of Royal Canin as that is what he was used to. I had no problems with it. Then I got Loki and he had all kinds of problems with allergy and stomach upset. Leo , my rescue, is just happy to get food. He was so emaciated when I got him. I have found a food in the medium price range $25 for 15 lbs., grain free with probiotics for Loki. Taste of the Wild with Salmon. It does have cranberries:). Loki does pretty good on it. I haven't had to give him antibiotics for a while now. Knock on wood. :xfngr:

icon_welcome to you and Toby

Teri, Remus, Loki, Leopold

Back