• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is CAWC a Quango?

RodRussell

I've been reading about how the UK Parliament has been "out-sourcing" certain categories of subject-matter to "quasi-autonomous non-government organizations" ("quangos")". There now reportedly are over 1,000 quangos doing the Parliament's work for it.

I had first heard about the "Companion Animal Welfare Council ("CAWC")" back in May 2008 when it issued its "Fixing ancestral problems: Genetics and welfare in companion animals focusing on syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels as an example." My first thought was: What is this outfit, anyway?"

Actually, it was my second thought, after: "Who got away with writing that run-on title to the report?" (My guess answer to the first question was Lord Soulsby, because nobody would have the nerve to tell him how editorially untidy that title was.)

I visited CAWC's website, and I was amazed that CAWC had governmental involvement in its creation. This kind of group would have been unheard of in the US (at least, prior to the O'Bama admistration, wherein the constitution no longer seems to matter).

So, my question is: Is CAWC a quango? If so, what powers does it have over the canine industry?

Is CAWC a QUANGO?

Rod, This I don't know, but if you look at APGAW ,they are linked to CAWC, it is a Committee of Members of Parliament ,who have been taking evidence about the Health of Pedigree Dogs here in Britain, and will be giving their Report in September and Recommendations.

At the moment the Kennel Club is trying to get as many Breeders to be Accredited Breeders,I don't know about other Breeds ,but Nikki Paull ,the President of the British Veterinary Association,and works with the Kennel Club, has recently said ,that shortly ,Cavalier Breeders who are Accredited Breeders ,there will be Mandatory Health Testing for both SM and MVD in Cavaliers .I'm not sure about this ,but I think the Law allows this.

Bet(Hargreaves)

I don't really know the exact definition of a quango in the UK (we don't really use the term in Ireland) -- I am sure there would be similar advisory groups in the US that are basically, expert groups (indeed every president has assembled expert teams or advisory teams of either short or long term duration... doesn't Congress have the ability to do this as well? Or is it just a hearing system? I haven't lived in the US in so long I have forgotten...).

CAWC has no ability to make laws, but their reports and recommendations would be taken on board by Parliament although it isn't a parliamentary committee (eg made up of members of parliament). Similarly we had an advisory committee set up to advice the Irish govt on managing the dog kenneling and breeding industries. It produced a report which then presumably helps shape govt policy (I know that this report has been taken on board in proposed and pending legislation). There was also a call for formal public response to the report, which doesn't always happen. I filed a response as did many rescues, breeders, animal transport organisations, vets, etc.

I just cannot imagine UK's parliament passing legislation requiring Cavalier breeders to test for syringomyelia and not breed dogs which fail the test. Of course, until earlier this year, I could not imagine the US federal government taking over banks, automobile manufacturers, and insurance companies.

But I digress... Anyway, what are the chances of the UK parliament actually enforcing recommendations of CAWC?

Is CAWC a QUANGO?

Rod, I think APGAW could have more clout than CAWC ,there are 12 Members of Parliament on the Committee who are influential.

I know that they asked for information from Vets,Researchers .who were looking into Health Problems in Breeds ,and any -body else who had a comment to make.

I know I sent an E-Mail about the Cavaliers' MVD Problem. ,and got word back thanking me for my contribution.

Bet Hargreaves

Rod, I think APGAW could have more clout than CAWC ,there are 12 Members of Parliament on the Committee who are influential.
I read on the APGAW site that the working party consisted of 12 cross-party politicians, so I also think APGAW could have more clout than CAWC.

Also APGAW mention on their site that it has over 90 political members, from both the House of Commons and the House of Lords, representing the UK´s main political parties, so I think the organisation has some clout.

BUT I wonder and a question about the MPs at APGAW, are they still official MPs, or are they retired but still call themselves MPs this sort of like if a Army General retires they tend to be still referred to by some as a General.

I read on the APGAW site that the working party consisted of 12 cross-party politicians, so I also think APGAW could have more clout than CAWC.

Also APGAW mention on their site that it has over 90 political members, from both the House of Commons and the House of Lords, representing the UK´s main political parties, so I think the organisation has some clout.

BUT I wonder and a question about the MPs at APGAW, are they still official MPs, or are they retired but still call themselves MPs this sort of like if a Army General retires they tend to be still referred to by some as a General.

No, they are not retired, they are still official MPs or sit in the House of Lords.

Eddy,

I also have great interest in Politics, !!!!.

It was my greatest wish ,to one day visit the House of Commons, but that will never happen now.

To answer your question ,the MP's in APGAW will all be official MP's, BUT.......with all the trouble here in Britain , how many will still be after the next Election ?????

I do know that both the APGAW Committee and Professor Sir P Bateson's Committee seem to be working to-gether now,

I do know that when I read that APGAW and Sir P Bateson's Committees were wanting information from any-body wishing to contribute to their Enquiries ,I wrote to both Committees about the serious plight of the Cavalier Breed being afflicted with their MVD Problem. I had a reply back from both the Secretarys of those Committees,

I gave more details about the MVD Trouble in our Cavalier Breed than about the SM Problem, I felt that I could give information about MVD than I could about SM.

I made them aware that 50% of Cavaliers will have a Heart Murmur by 5 years of age, that this has'nt really improved from 20 years ago. That the Cavalier Heart Problem was known about in the 1940's, perhaps now there could be many Cavaliers Carriers of the MVD Gene/Genes.

I sent my information as a Heart Broken Cavalier Pet Owner, but also mentioned that I was Member of the UK CKCS Club.

Bet(Hargreaves)

I was just thinking, if after the next Election and those that are still official MPs then I think it might be possible that they in their official MP capacity could draft and introduce a Bill regarding Heritable Diseases say under your Animal Welfare Act.

Eddy,

Here's to hoping that will happen, that through them ,at least for the Cavalier Breed Mandatory Health Testing for SM and MVD will be introduced.

I just can't see how Cavaliers can have a Future unless this happens.

I do feel that for many years a good number of Cavalier Breeders have just paid Lip Service to the Cavaliers' Health Problems.

Bet(Hargreaves)

Back