PDA

View Full Version : Why your dog needs a lifejacket...

asherotter31
22nd July 2009, 05:43 AM
Well here goes my horror story...

I took my 1.5 year old ruby swimming this last Friday. I took the day off from work and went in the morning to a nearby lake that I knew would be mostly deserted because it was a weekday. We played fetch in the water for awhile with his bumper - no one in sight.

Then a huge black lab runs out of the woods behind me as my ruby is going after the bumper. The lab proceeds to swim OVER my dog!

I could see my boy got hit pretty hard and was submerged completely in muddy lake water. Luckily he was wearing a life jacket and popped right back up to the surface where I was able to grab him. He was dazed when I pulled him out, I don't know if he would have been able to pull himself up.

The labs owner came running after him. The lab was dragging a leash he pulled through the owners hands as she was getting him out of the car. She apologized a thousand times, but it was just an accident - he wanted to go swimming too!

Moral of the story - if you dog is going to swim BUY A LIFE JACKET

cy1266
22nd July 2009, 07:21 PM
How scary, I'm glad he's okay...and good advice! :)

*Pauline*
22nd July 2009, 08:14 PM
Very good advice, :thnku: I hope your boy is ok now.

Karlin
22nd July 2009, 08:46 PM
Wow that is a scary accident -- so glad he is OK and good suggestion for those of us with swimmers in the house! A life jacket is especially important for boating dogs. I've seen very handy ones with handles that allow someone to easily pull a dog up out of the water.

pinkpuppy
22nd July 2009, 08:58 PM
Another good reason to buy the life jacket. Hope your little guy is okay now.