• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you feed multiple pups?

JoanS

When I brought Alfie home I began feeding him and Casey on opposite sides of the kitchen. This worked well for about 6 mo. Lately, however, Casey barely looks as his bowl. He waits (if I'm not watching) till Alfie takes a mouthful and then proceeds to eat from Alfie's bowl. Alfie doesn't mind--he just goes over and eats from Casey's bowl. The problem is that Casey is older and eats alot slower, so Alfie eats more than he should, and Casey eats less than he should. I've been handling this by standing in the middle of the kitchen with my hands on my hips like I mean business. This works--they stay at their own bowls.

If not different rooms, one goes in a crate. I figure the dogs don't need to worry about someone stealing their food. I like to know if one isn't eating etc....

If it is a problem standing & waiting, try seperate rooms.

i watch my three for several reasons,

1. 2 of them are much bigger than poppy & i dont want any incidents.

2. i like to know how much each are eating

3. poppy is the pincher in our house & unless supervised would pinch thors food!

Abigail goes out into the hall and the other three are fed in the kitchen with me in between them :D

I fold out my pen into 3 and they all get fed in their own little section..if I didn't Pippin(the smallest!) would eat the others food, or at least try to:). DJ would probably let him, but Gus would put up a fight and then all hell would break loose.

Crates are probably the easiest. My dogs finish their meals in about 3 minutes maximum so I just watch them when they are being fed, with plenty of space between them, or use crates.

I feed mine on opposite sides of the kitchen too. I have to stand near Jato and help him guard his bowl because Zoey eats so fast and then runs over to him and will try to eat his too. He would just let her :eek:, so I have wait there while he SLOWLY munches away.

My dogs finish their meals in about 3 minutes maximum

Your gang are such slow eaters :D I can get off the sofa, dish up, let them eat, get Jasmine to pee and get back to the sofa in those 3 minutes icon_devil

Mine are all fed in the kitchen, a few feet apart. One of them eats like lightning while one another eats very slowly (chews every single piece) so they do need to be watched. When the quick one is done we life her bowl and she jsut sits staring at the others eating. She doesn't go for their food unless they lift their heads away from it or walk away, we have to be quick to lift the bowl so that she doesn't get any. The others do tend to speed up when she is lurking so they are finished soon after.

Crating or feeding in seperate rooms could be the answer to any probs at feeding times. There is no food aggression (where these tend to be only options) so perhaps continuing with feeding them a good bit apart and watching them could work. It really does depend on the dog, some could feel threatened while others just walk away.

All of mine are fed in the laundry room in their own corner. They all eat at about the same pace except for Casey who is slower. But she seems to be the silent leader and no one tries to take her food.

Max eats in his crate (now I leave the door open and he comes out when he is done and Mindy eats in the hall where she has always eaten. When Max is done he always goes over to Mindy's bowl to see if she left him anything:-D. She is the faster eater - and gets less. She never does leave anything for him but he lives in hope:-D

My four are trained to sit and wait in their "spot", they get their snoods put on and placed in a "wait" command. Their food is placed on the floor with each one still in a "wait" position. They are given a release word and they all run to their own dish. Harley is always the first one to finish, he often tries to sniff Gem's bowl but he is immediately given the "leave it" command. He then runs to me, I take off his snood and we practice "sits" and "downs" with some small pieces of treats. Gem and Sapphire are usually the next to finish. They come to me and I remove snoods and we practice a few more simple commands while Monty finishes. He gets the most food (he is the biggest) and he eats very slowly. When he is finished, he comes to me to have his snood taken off and does a few practice behaviors. Then out to the backyard with the four of them. Sapphire tries to lick all the bowls clean before she runs out. Can't be wasteful you know. I do watch them at all times otherwise Harley would steal Gem's food. He wouldn't dare touch Sapphire's or Monty's....he knows better!
J.

J, you have such well trained dogs :) when will you come to my house and train mine :eek:? Mine are fed in their crates, reduces anxiety and eliminates tussles.

I feed mine in crates. Always. Since my boy is so young, he's always always fed in the crate to see how much he's eaten (I feed a raw diet so it's almost crucial). The other, sometimes if I'm just giving her like a pig foot or tail or something, I'll let her romp around with it because those are mostly chews anyway. If it's a real meal, then she's crated too because she does actually have a bit of food aggression (only towards dogs, though).

Back