• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor Lily...

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
She is prone to occasional bouts of haemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) where they can get bloody diarrhea and sometimes vomit.:grnyuk: This can be a risky condition if it gets advanced but she is always pretty resilient, though I watch her and make sure she stays hydrated. I have antibiotics for her so she is on those. She had a bad day of getting sick but I withheld food all day and since the afternoon, she has been OK. Poor little thing. She nonetheless had the energy to try to chase and catch flies. She's snoring very loudly now...:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear Lily isn't well. I hope she's feeling better soon. Tummy troubles really are a pain. Get well soon Lily :hug:

I hope that she feels better soon. Our Julie had something similar and it was so scary. Hope the antibiotics do the trick.

Have you tried probiotics Karlin,you can buy them as a powder and sprinkle over the food and it very good for digestive health.
I got Clostridia Difficile a few years ago(long story) and the only thing that sorted it was freeze dried capsules of probiotics(acidophilus and lactobacilli)
Sins

GlaD she's doing okay. Am giggling to myself at the thought of her snoring! She woke me up at 5am one morning from another room when I had her.

Poor Lily. I hope she get better very soon. :hug:
Ebony had gastroenteritis last year. The bloody diarrhoea is always a worry. After two days at the vets she was as good as new.

Sorry to hear about poor Lily - this is a horrid condition, fortunately you are knowledgable about it.

If anyone else's dog does develop this - please get them to the vet immediately.

A friend of ours lost their Cavalier to HGE - she was in kennels whilst they were on holiday, and the staff came in in the morning to find her dead in a pool of bloody diarrhoea :(

Yes Nicki that is a really important point -- this is a condition that can rapidly turn fatal because the dog gets dehydrated very quickly. That's an awful story abut the poor cavalier in the kennels. :(

Lily seems to get light bouts now and then and the first time was very scary because they literally seem to be pooping blood :eek: (which they pretty much are). I was reading up on the condition and it is more common in small breeds and those between ages 2-4. It has been a while since Lily had a bad bout like this where she needs medication. She is like a little tank; keeps a good constitution.

She's much better today, slept all night without needing to go out (I could hear her snoring at about 4 am... :lol: ). No more vomiting. I withheld food for 24 hours and she just got a little bit of cooked hamburger this morning.

Am giggling to myself at the thought of her snoring! She woke me up at 5am one morning from another room when I had her.

I know, she is still loud but not nearly as bad as when you had her as a foster and I had her soon after! She was so fat, and her snoring was so loud, that I had to keep her in another room with two closed doors in between. With the weight loss her snoring is far quieter. :)

I think I will try probiotics with her and see if that helps. (y)

I hope Lily is feeling 100% soon, bless her.

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice given - Cazy started poo'ing blood about 18 months ago and we took her straight to the vet. She ended up hospitalised on a drip for about 3 days, and I'm so relieved we acted quickly, as I feel we could easily have lost her :(.

I hope Lily is doing better. How awful for both of you! Any idea what triggers it? Our 8 m/o Cav tries to eat everything she finds outdoors, and I worry about that causing gastric problems.

They don't really know what triggers it but they do think 'dietary indiscretion' as it is called -- eg garbage guts eating anything -- can be a cause. Lily is a ground hoover too and I have to watch her.

See:

http://www.xomba.com/gastroenteritis_in_dogs_prevention_and_treatment
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/HGEindogs.htm
http://pet-diseases.suite101.com/article.cfm/canine_gastroenteritis

That's interesting, Karlin.

Cazy has an obsession with plastic objects - usually remote controls or phones that she cuddles up to. I think it's a hangover from her backyard breeding days and she thinks they are pups. :( I wonder if a piece of plastic caused the original problem.

Hope Lily is feeling better Karlin. :flwr:

Thank you for links. I worry about Tricky sniffing the ground and eating everything from bits of styrofoam and the occasional junk food we consume.

She thanks you for all the kind thoughts and wishes to state that she is much better -- and is having great fun annoying everyone by emitting the foulest farts ever, even taking into account that she is a gaseous dog to begin with and thinks of such emissions as a canine art form. :yuk:

ROFLOL so glad she's better, I think we had better not put Lily and Daisy together in a room, it could explode!!

Just don't light a match.

Or isn't that supposed to burn off the methane? :lol:

Those are known as *the stinkersons* in our house:lol:
Im really glad Lily is back on form, what a relief:flwr:

Thank you for posting the links i will be reading those as im wondering if the virus that ruby had earlier this year was this, with the bleeding/vomiting & i know that if id have left her until morning (as the vet said after seeing her early eve) & not called the vet out at 3am i would have lost her like the poor cavalier in kennels:(

i hope some probiotics help

Glad Lily is feeling better. With that much methane emission might be a good idea to use it to run a small moped. J/K

Back