View Full Version : Plse can i have your advice?
26th July 2009, 12:02 PM
i really need your opinions plse on a simple query:)
Last night i gave jelly her drontal(1 whole tablet) 2mins before her last feed at 9pm, all was fine until she vomited at 1.30am(poor love). i cleaned up & we all slept until 9.30 this morn, her toilets have been normal & she's eaten her breakfast at 10.30 so my question is-would you give her another half of drontal (tonight?) or wait until next worming due?
BTW i did question the amount when we collected drontal & the nurse said to give her 1 tablet,i said "at 9lbs?" & she said that was right.Now it could just be a coincidence as she is a little scavenger but i know our old vets had rubes on half a tablet at 11lbs(when i first got her & she was half starved)
Thanks for advice in advance:)
26th July 2009, 12:23 PM
im always stressing over weights & tablets, just looked this up for you. going on Jelly weighing in at 9lb = 4.08 KG looks like she is just in the 1/2 drontal plus.
i would check with your vet if to give another tablet, but i know through experience they can give them a little off tummy.
Dosage Guide: Puppies and small dogs
½–2 kg bodyweight = ¼ Drontal Plus Flavour Tablet
2–5 kg bodyweight = ½ Drontal Plus Flavour Tablet
6–10 kg bodyweight = 1 Drontal Plus Flavour Tablet
26th July 2009, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't give another pill, she would have absorbed all of that pill in 4 1/2 hours before she was sick. Personally, I'd switch brands if I thought it was the pill that made her sick.
26th July 2009, 02:33 PM
I don't understand why they wanted you to give two doses anyway?
I used to give Lopatol 500 wormer to a Cavalier who couldn't handle Drontal - it's supposed to be gentler on the tummy. Not sure if you can still get it - although I've found references to it when I google.
Ask your vet for something gentler next time - explain what happened.
Hope Jelly is feeling better soon.
26th July 2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks Sarahso for that chart i will keep that noted:)
I dont think its the drontal as such that made her sick more the amount as 4weeks ago she had half a tablet & was fine, she was 6lbs then so i was expecting the nurse to say 3/4s at most! which is why i questioned her when she said to give her it all:confused: tho she also said it wouldnt harm her if it was too much:x
Jelly herself is really fine today full of it as usual-"helping" me tidy etc!!
26th July 2009, 06:11 PM
I used to give drontal and Harley used to get ½ a tablet until he was 7-8 month old. My two girls weighing between 10 and 12 kilos used to get one tablet.
My Ebony has a sensitive tummy and she was fine with Drontal.
26th July 2009, 06:27 PM
Im thinking, going on the chart there, if she thought i meant 9kgs instead of 9lbs?? Would any of you ring the vets to complain/inform?
26th July 2009, 07:38 PM
Give Jelly a big kiss;) Hope she is better soonxx
26th July 2009, 08:38 PM
I had a problem with drontal recently because Pippin has a chicken allergy and that's what they are flavouring it with now.
When I used to give him the non-flavoured one it was half a tablet when he was under 6 kilos.
Hope Jelly is feeling better now
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.