• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about Teeth

kmatt

Anna is 5 months old now and I was looking at her teeth this morning and noticed that she is becoming a shark. Her front teeth all came in, but they didn't push out the baby teeth. So now she has two rows of teeth, a set of babies and a set of adult in the upper front of her mouth. Should I wait a little longer, or should I take her to the vet tomorrow morning. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and eats nicely so i don't think they are bothering her.

Thanks
-kmatt

Had to laugh at this,as my pup is 5 months old and only the other day I was thinking "Oh no she's turning into a shark :eek:" because mine is exactly the same as your pup. Dont worry though, as the same thing happened with our last Cav puppy and it soon sorts itself out.

The only teeth you need be the slightest bit concerned about are the canine teeth because sometimes if the baby canines refuse to budge the adult ones are forced out sideways. So when shes having a quiet cuddle on your lap, give the baby canines a little wiggle and it should help loosen them. If they really wont budge and the adult ones look like they'll go sideways, your vet can easily remove them for you (they have no roots,so wont need an anaesthetic).

Best wishes
Diane

At five months, If they weren't causing any damage, I would just get her something she would LOVE to chew. Here we have MOAB (mother of all bones) it has jerky, bone, sinew etc... and my dogs would do anything for them.

Diane I am not so sure they don't feel anything -- I am pretty sure it would be just as painful as yanking baby teeth out of the mouth of a child -- most vets choose to do the removals at the time a dogs is spayed or neutered so that they are under a GA. The teeth would all still have strong roots if they haven't come loose, wouldn't they? The approach of all my vet practices I work with (three) would be that if teeth do not come out, because neutering tends to be done under a year of age, they will take them out at the same time rather than put the dog under twice. None would leave this for too long.

Cathy T may have something to add to this as well -- if I recall correctly, she has been to dental presentations where it has been said that this is actually more urgent than a minor issue, if none of the teeth come out -- can cause longterm damage because already there are teeth being forced to make room for an additional tooth to come in -- something has to give in that small space in the mouth.

Chews often help loosen them but I'd have a vet make sure they are not causing problems and coming in at the wrong angles.

Online vet advice is get them seen by a vet if they are not loosening.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dealing-with-retained-baby-teeth/page1.aspx

Dealing with Retained "Baby -Teeth"
By: Dr. Debra Primovic

As with people, puppies lose their baby teeth, or deciduous teeth, and develop adult teeth. By 1 month of age, puppies generally start "erupting" their baby teeth – that's when the teeth begin to break through the gums – and have all 28 deciduous teeth by the time they reach 1 ½ months of age. By the time a puppy is 6 to 7 months of age, generally all the baby teeth have been replaced with 42 adult or permanent teeth.

The body begins a process of resorption of the baby teeth as soon as the permanent teeth begin their formation. This process causes the teeth to loosen and fall out as the permanent teeth erupt. Occasionally, the normal resorption process fails, and the deciduous teeth do not fall out. This is commonly referred to as "retained deciduous teeth." This situation leads to problems as two teeth try to occupy the same area causing the new permanent tooth to erupt at an abnormal angle or in an abnormal position.

This can result in malocclusion or an abnormal "bite."

The four "canine" teeth are most commonly retained. These two sets of canine teeth – one mandibular set on the lower jaw and one maxillary set on the upper jaw – are the sharp fang-like teeth that are just behind the front 6 central incisors.

Extraction (or removal) of the retained deciduous teeth is recommended as soon as the problem is identified, since early removal allows the adult teeth to move into their normal positions preventing malocclusion problems. Special veterinary care is required during extraction of the baby teeth to prevent damage to the permanent tooth. Often, retained deciduous teeth are removed at the time of spay or neuter since anesthesia is recommended for both procedures.

Late diagnosis or late removal of retained deciduous teeth may result in severe malocclusion associated with pain or difficulty eating. These cases may require surgical removal and orthodontic dental work to reposition the teeth and improve the "bite," usually with the use of braces.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2089&aid=381

Usually by four weeks of age puppies get their deciduous teeth, commonly known as baby teeth. Beginning around three months of age, the deciduous teeth are replaced by the bigger and stronger permanent teeth. It takes an additional three to five months for the permanent teeth to replace all of the baby teeth. Occasionally, the permanent teeth do not erupt immediately under the deciduous teeth, and therefore, do not force the baby teeth out. When a dog has both an adult and baby tooth at the same site, it is referred to as a retained deciduous tooth. In the dog, this usually occurs with the incisors or upper canine baby teeth.
What are the symptoms?

In puppies with a retained deciduous tooth, a permanent tooth is seen along side the baby tooth it was meant to replace. The permanent canine teeth usually erupt in front of the deciduous canines.

What are the risks?

Retained baby teeth frequently cause a crowding of the teeth along the gumline. This crowding displaces the permanent teeth so that they are out of line or grow at odd angles. The abnormal placement of teeth can interfere with the normal growth and development of bones in the jaws. They may contact the roof of the mouth causing injury and pain. Retained teeth may also die and abscess, causing mouth infections to develop.

What is the management?

Retained deciduous teeth should be extracted. This will usually require anesthesia and surgical extraction. Check a puppy's mouth weekly until about seven months of age for abnormal teeth. Consult a veterinarian for an oral examination if any retained teeth are suspected.

http://www.virginiaveterinarydentistry.com/612982.html

Retained Primary (Deciduous or Puppy) Teeth

No two teeth of the same type should ever be in the mouth at the same time.

Dogs and cats, just like humans, have two sets of teeth. The first set is known by several names: milk teeth, baby teeth, puppy (or kitten) teeth, deciduous teeth, or primary teeth. The second set comprises the adult or permanent teeth. The primary tooth should always be shed as the permanent tooth cuts through the gum. But sometimes the root of the primary tooth does not dissolve and the tooth remains firmly held in the jaw. The permanent tooth then “glances off” the retained primary tooth and erupts through the gum at an improper angle.

All retained teeth should be extracted as soon as the condition is recognized. If the extractions are performed early, the abnormally positioned adult tooth usually moves over to fill the void and assumes a more correct position. The removal of retained deciduous teeth is an inexpensive, simple way to prevent major problems from developing in the adult dentition.

If retained primary teeth are allowed to remain in the mouth, the teeth become crowded, rotated, or tilted at abnormal angles.

This will result in

· early onset and increased severity of gum disease
· damage to the soft tissues of the mouth, due to sharp teeth penetrating unprotected gum and mouth tissues
· pain, in the joints of the jaw as well as in the gums, lips, and teeth
· excessive wear, when abnormally aligned teeth grind against other teeth and weaken them

Thanks for posting this Karlin. Yikes :eek: I learnt something new today !!.
icon_blshingicon_blshingicon_blshing Guess who'll be phoning for vet appointment tomorrow?

Best wishes
Diane

Back