• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Cavalier owner from Canada

Truffe

Hi

i am from Canada, Quebec province, i just get a 1 1/2year old rubis male cavalier.
I have another 4 year old mixed dog, 2 cats, horse, donkey, chicken, well large family.

I look all around on the forum and cannot find the SEARCH tool :-? I want to search for questions i may have.

My cavalier is adorable, a true companion dog. Just before i adopt him, he had an anal gland infection that is healed now, seem a common problem with them.
His eyes are also always leaking (clear), is that normal, all cavalier have that much tears?
It is a bit ennoying but well, i will get used to it, they have so much qualities.
He was unfortunately debarked before i get it too, and he snore a bit because of that when he sleep.

I want to go to the vet soon with him to get an exam but was wondering what can a "regular" vet can look at his heart? What should i ask?

thanks, i am happy to have find this nice looking and informative forum. :)

Hi and welcome! How sad your fellow was debarked -- but the snoring would probably happen anyway; this is a breed that tends to snore! :)

The tearing is generally common -- you can gently wipe away with a cotton pad and water, or buy a sepcial wash at most pet shops, but be careful to not touch the eyes. On your vet visit, have your vet make sure there isn't some extra problem as sometimes there can be something causing the tears.

A regular vet will listen to his heart. It is nice to get a cardiologist to check them once a year -- check with your regional cavalier club (CKC) as they usually have low cost heart clinics at some shows and pet owners can g to these -- much cheaper than a private appointment. Other than that your vet will check for all the usual things at an exam. If your vet isn't familiar with syringomyelia in the breed, you might want to let him/her know. There's more info here: www.smcavalier.com.

Mais il-y-a les informations en francais ici: http://www.fckc.com/cavalier-king-charles-sante-maladies_ignorees-syringomyelie_simplement.html

icon_welcome You found the right place if you have questions. Your English is very good. I wish I could say the same about my French after studying it for 3 years. Je ne suis pas bon :huh:

Back