PDA

View Full Version : Drooling - a lot!

emmawright
30th July 2009, 03:14 PM
Hello - just wanted to ask, because Bluebell has just come in from outside, and she is drooling a lot, as in it is just running out of her mouth - she has drooled before but never like this. I was watching her in the garden, and i don't think anything happened, but she seems a bit grumpy too.

Its like a tap running from her mouth - help!

Karlin
30th July 2009, 03:28 PM
I'd call the vet immediately and urgently. Could be slug pellets or a serious poison.

Cathy T
30th July 2009, 03:40 PM
That was my first though too. Hope she didn't get into anything. Keep us posted....please. I'll be thinking about her.

emmawright
30th July 2009, 04:27 PM
well just got back from the vet - they have kept her in, the drool was pouring from her mouth, and in the car she was moving about funny (she was in the boot) and when i opened it, she had messed everywhere, and she was covered in it, then she threw up at the vet - she looked awful. so they have kept her in... i hope she is ok, i cried all the way home.

Good job i noticed that the drooling wasn't normal, and i took her down as she got a lot worse.

tupup
30th July 2009, 04:34 PM
Oh poor you & poor Bluebell, you must be shaken up how awful.Thank God she was drooling & well done for getting her to the vets so fast. I'll be thinking of you & hoping that she gets well soon,plse post updates:hug::hug:
Ps. Can you have a little medicinal brandy?

emmawright
30th July 2009, 04:40 PM
Yes - maybe i should! I have a terrible headache.
Poor thing, she looked very unwell. I really hope she is ok, little lottie is searching for her .

Jasperxxgabby
30th July 2009, 04:45 PM
Oh gosh, poor Bluebell :(, and poor you, sounds like a really scary experience, I will be thinking of Bluebell and hoping she is back to herself asap. :hug:

Wagtails
30th July 2009, 04:45 PM
Well done for acting so promptly - obviously it was the best thing to do. These things can happen so fast and so unexpectedly and Cavvies are always so inquisitive about anything new.

Must have been a terrible shock for all of you - the medicinal brandy sounds like a good idea!

We'll keep everything crossed for you and Bluebell. :xfngr:

*Pauline*
30th July 2009, 04:48 PM
My sister's dog got hold of some kind of poison, probably slug pellets and though it was very serious, she pulled through. You acted very quickly and that's a good thing. I hope she's back home soon :hug:

emmawright
30th July 2009, 04:56 PM
the only thing is i don't use slug pellets, and no sprays or anything like that. The vet was asking about what plants i had there and about slug pellets etc, so i don't know what it is. the only thing i saw up there was part of something dead, like half a mouse.

chloe92us
30th July 2009, 05:04 PM
Could it have been a frog? Or if she ate part of the mouse, and the mouse had been poisoned...

emmawright
30th July 2009, 05:05 PM
oh god, i never thought that the mouse might have been poisoned... we do get frogs here, i just don't know...

ttsabin
30th July 2009, 05:09 PM
did the vet ask about toads,they make them salivate alot.
get well soon bluebell

emmawright
30th July 2009, 05:10 PM
no she didn't ask about frogs, but i only saw the vet. nurse - she said they would keep her in and a vet would look at her.

Karlin
30th July 2009, 05:14 PM
Good job getting her there so quickly. Hope she is OK. We will all be thinking of her (and you!).

*Pauline*
30th July 2009, 05:33 PM
I think you should take whatever it is you found in the garden to the vet, maybe that would give them a better idea. I know it's gross but that's all I can think to do.

meljoy
30th July 2009, 05:37 PM
Just reading this now.....I really hope Bluebell is ok.....you must be beside yourself.
Please keep us posted

Mel

emmawright
30th July 2009, 07:06 PM
The vet has just rang, he said that he has checked her over and given her some medicine (a couple of ones i can't remember) and some antibiotics and also the equilivent of morfine, he said she is very pale, she is on a drip and will be staying overnight at the vet. he said he will phone me at about 8.30 tomorrow morning to let me know how she is. he said it is probably something she ate and she has reacted badly to it. he said if she is still sick in the morning then they will have to open her up and have a look, but he doesnt think they should need to do that.

its such a worry when they aren't here... i hope she is ok, i love her so much! but i told her that before i left her, and i told her she was "my special bab" (thats what i call her!)

off to give Lottie a good walk now, to try and distract her. She won't like it much tonight, being in her bed alone...

chloe92us
30th July 2009, 07:49 PM
Big hugs to you and Lottie- it will be hard to be without her tonight. I hope she's okay in the morning. :hug:

linderbelle
30th July 2009, 09:15 PM
what an awful time. I sure hope she's up and running quickly. Glad you got her in so quickly and vet is keeping in touch with you. Let us know when you hear in the a.m. Hugs to you.

brid kenny
30th July 2009, 09:18 PM
Oh the poor thing and poor you. Hopefully all will be okay in the morning. Let us know.

Sabby
30th July 2009, 11:59 PM
:hug:to you and Bluebell and of course :hug: for Lottie.
You are in my thoughts and I really hope you have some good news in the morning.
Its horrible when you have to leave them at the vets.
Is there a 24hour nurse keeping an eye on things at your vets?

Cathy T
31st July 2009, 03:38 AM
Sure hope she rallies around tonight Emma. Praying everything is okay.

Lani
31st July 2009, 03:43 AM
Emma, thinking of you and your girls. Hope Bluebell does well tonight and gets well soon.

:hug:

harrysmum
31st July 2009, 08:06 AM
Just catching up with this now, poor Bluebell, poor you. Hopefully you will be getting good news from the vet very soon :xfngr:

Charlotte
31st July 2009, 08:24 AM
I hope she gets better sooooon! And makes a speedy recovery :grin::fool:

Sabby
31st July 2009, 10:17 AM
Have you heard from the vet this morning?

Claire L
31st July 2009, 10:39 AM
Only seeing this now. Sending hugs to you Emma and praying hard that Bluebell has come through the night ok. :hug::hug:

*Pauline*
31st July 2009, 11:49 AM
Any news? Thinking of you all :hug:

Margaret C
31st July 2009, 01:15 PM
I have only just read this. Thank goodness you acted so quickly getting her to the vet.
I do hope she is much better this morning

emmawright
31st July 2009, 01:44 PM
Hello everyone - thank you so much for the kind messages, it is so nice to be able to talk on here.

Well, Bluebell is home. The vet called this morning and said that she was ok overnight and hasn't been sick again. He wanted to see how she would get on being at home, she wouldn't eat at the vet but the vet said it could just be because shes in a strange place. They have given her antibiotics and i have some to give her for the next 3 days.

She sure was pleased to see me, i bent down to her and she stretched up and put a paw on each shoulder and kissed me lots! I have since given her a bath (she's going to need another one tomorrow as i can still smell it on her) but i thought she would like to be fresher, she has also eaten some scrambled eggs and some cooked chicken. She has slept since she got back, looks a little sorry for herself but i think she is ok. Hopefully she will stop eating things from the garden.

The only thing i was concerned with was that when i had her in the bath, i noticed that the side she had the drip in was very very swollen. As in, her leg and shoulder and chest was 3 times in the size of her other leg. I called up the vets and said to them that i had just noticed it and she said that its probably just where the drip was in, and the water has gone under the skin, she said it should go back into the body. So i'll keep an eye on that.

meljoy
31st July 2009, 03:05 PM
Thats great news...:wggle:
Glad she's feeling a little better at least she's eating now....always a good sign.

Mel

Karlin
31st July 2009, 03:05 PM
Relieved to know she is OK! :)

Cathy T
31st July 2009, 03:28 PM
So relieved to hear that she did so well during the night, no more episodes and is back home to fully recuperate. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the swelling. I used to have to give my cat subq fluids and she'd swell up like crazy but it would subside.

Redkite
31st July 2009, 03:30 PM
Pleased to hear she's home!

Claire L
31st July 2009, 03:36 PM
Oh thank God she's home! I was almost late for my physio appointment because I kept checking on here to see if you'd posted. Give your precious scoundrel a kiss on the noggin from me :hug:

ttsabin
31st July 2009, 04:48 PM
fantastic news shes home.she gave everyone quite a scare there.
did the vet have any idea of the probable cause.
if not id be checking round the garden to see if there are any plants that have been disturbed.

Daisy's Mom
31st July 2009, 04:50 PM
Very relieved to hear she's home and doing much better! Thank Goodness! I know that was very scary.

Brian M
31st July 2009, 06:59 PM
Hi Emma

So glad Bluebell is OK ,and probaly thanks to your quick actions ,also what a lovely name for her.:)

Kate H
31st July 2009, 08:47 PM
So glad Bluebell is OK - top marks for a quick reaction! There was a dreadful report on the front page of Dog World a few weeks ago of a Cavalier puppy who came in from the garden foaming at the mouth and wobbly on its legs. Any experienced dog owner would immediately suspect poison (slug pellets, plants, frog or whatever), but these were unexperienced owners, uncle went on the internet and found a site (goodness knows where) that said these were symptoms of SM, their stupid vet believed it - without checking - and at their request put the puppy to sleep. Your vet really seems to have come up trumps with good treatment and good nursing care - well done all round, and I hope Bluebell gets over it quickly.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

harrysmum
31st July 2009, 11:54 PM
So glad to hear the Bluebell is so much better, she is lucky to be in such good hands!:)

Sabby
1st August 2009, 02:50 PM
I am so glad she is back home with you. Lucky you reacted so quickly.