• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ferry travel to ireland

timclayton

We are taking our 21 mth old chesney to meet family in ireland. will he be ok left in the car for 2 hrs on the ferry. Does anyone have any experience of this and any tips.

Sucks that no one replied to you.

I've never been on a ferry but I wouldn't leave my dog in a car that long period. Is there no way you can put it in a carrier and hold on to it? Just because, say if it needs to toilet or it gets thirsty or freaks out. I know mine would freak out.

Though, I suppose if you know for a fact that the car isn't going to get too heated it's not necessarily bad... just undesired.

Who are you sailing with?

I went from Belfast to Stranraer at Christmas with Stena Line. Going over I was on the fast craft and they actually had kennels for dogs so Rosie stayed in one of those for the trip (this was free of charge). Other people did leave their dogs in their cars during the trip.

On our return, we were on the conventional ferry and Rosie was allowed to go on the passenger deck with me but I was not allowed to take her anywhere where food was prepared.

If you are sailing with another company, give them a ring and see if dogs are allowed on deck or if they have kennels.

Hope you have a good holiday :)

I hate the ferry,every time i have been on the thing a huge storm appears from nowhere.Sick every where.never taken pets,ring them and ask what they offer for pets.

Ring the ferry company, sometimes you can kennel the dogs or keep them in a crate in the car.The car decks shouldn't be too warm :). I've heard that kennels are allocated on a first come, first served basis so check in in good time.Enjoy your holiday and bring plenty of raingear.
Sins

ferries to ireland

We took our elderly cavalier from Pembroke to Rosslare last year (with Irish Ferries). On the way out we kept him in his travelbox in the car on the car deck. We won't do that again! It must have been very uncomfortable for him, and his tummy was quite upset for the next day or two. On the way back we booked him into the kennels, also on the car deck. They are not the most welcoming looking places: bright lights, cold metal cages. So, take anything that makes your dog more comfortable (basket, blanket etc) and supply water. You can go on their web site and look up "frequently asked questions" to find out more.
Once in Ireland we had such a wonderful time on the beaches of Connemara that we felt even the slightly uncomfortable trip was worth it.
Have a good holiday. Susanne and Frankie (12)

and Rosie was allowed to go on the passenger deck with me but I was not allowed to take her anywhere where food was prepared.

That actually shouldn't have been allowed on Stena; you must have had someone who was kindly towards dogs and didn't think others would complain! I've taken that ferry and the formal rules are they have to stay in kennels or in the car. But once when I went walk-on with dogs in a crate (roll on crate) from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, the staff let me sit with them in a stairwell rather then put them in a kennel, and didn't mind if I took them out and held them. :)

I have taken my dogs many times on the ferry with no issues at all. Always check with the company as some require you to let them know in advance that you are travelling with a dog. One that goes to Scotland did and another did not. Irish Ferries to Holyhead from Dublin does not.

Normally you simply keep your dog crated in the car. There is very little of the car decks that is exposed to the outside -- if it looks as if you will be positioned into such an area, just ask the guys directing the cars to let you hold back and park in the enclosed part of the deck. Or book to put your dog in the on-board car deck level kennels.

Generally you should not feed a dog on the morning of travel (in a car or a ferry or plane...). Many will just get sick from the motion or the anxiety of being left, if they are not used to car travel in a crate (it's a good idea to get a dog used to this in advance and it is the safest way to drive a dog around anyway).

I give water just before we board then again as soon as we arrive. I put a light sheet cover over the crates so the dogs cannot see out and are cozy and enclosed and leave the car locked with windows cracked open slightly for some air.

I just was over and back on irish ferries with all four dogs to Wales and had a great time, dogs are always very relaxed on the drive and the ferry.

You cannot take a dog out of the car and bring it anywhere else on board BTW they must either be safely in the car in a crate/cage or placed in the pre-booked kennels. In all the times I've gone I've always heard dogs on the decks in cars and never seen anyone use the kennels. Follow best airline practice when choosing a good crate -- dog should be able to fully stand, turn around and lie down.

Enjoy your trip!

Im taking my two to England on the swift ferry from Dublin City to Hollyhead for Christmas - Cass has been on the ferry before as Mum brought her over here to me 4 years ago but Sparky hasnt been on the ferry before. I will be giving them valarian drops before we leave home so that they will be calm while crated - but not drousy.

I have one question though - they will be in a crate together, will they be warm enough - bearing in mind it will be december

Has anyone done the seventeen hour Rosslare Roscoff Route with a dog?(Irish Ferries).

Sins

Last edited:
I know of people who do this regularly with dogs. They go in kennels for the France routes so are comfy and have water etc. Keep in mind the 7 month lead time for a pet passport and the rabies vax and any other vaccines for the area you go to -- as weather is warmer there are sometimes other things that need to be vaxed for.

Back