• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tomato ketchup, a cure for a scorched lawn.

*Pauline*

I've just been told if you feed your dog one teaspoon of tomato ketchup daily, it stops urine from scorching your lawn. Has anyone tried this?

No i havn't heard of this, but i have heard you can put this soloution in your dogs drink so when it pee's it dosn't scorch the lawn, but no, i havn't heard of tomato ketchup

I've just read this,

"Tomatoes and Tomato Plants: These contain atropine which can cause dilated pupils, tremors and irregular heartbeat. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, next is the unripe (green) tomatoes and then the ripe tomato."

I have tried tomato juice without effect. From what I've heard the best method is to dilute the urine (on ground) with water from hose. My son has timed sprinklers that come on every morning for a short while and he has minimal problems with 2 female dogs-they say females cause more lawn scorching then males. Truly, they can kill grass deader than dead-have replaced soil and put in new grass seed every spring.

I wouldn't give my pets tomato ketchup as tomatos aren't good for them to have.

As for urine scorched lawns... retrain her to pee in a not grassy area?

I didn't know about tomatoes being bad for dogs!? All of mine LOVE them! And they even ate a green hard one last week... :eek:

Hi

Sorry i wouldn't risk giving them anything like that just in case theres an adverse reaction , having three girls I had no choice but to fence off half the lawn and get somebody in to pave the top half which now just has borders behind small fences and lots of plants in large pots around the paved area .The one big benefit is its now real easy to pick up their poop.:)

Maybe the following might also apply to Tomato Ketchup where the preservatives or salt might causes the dog to drink more.
"One particular home remedy, tomato juice, likely has its primary benefit through both increased salt and water intake. While salt will make the dog drink more and dilute the urine, increased salt intake can cause problems for dogs with existing kidney or heart conditions."

Via this link is an update by Dr. Steve Thompson DVM and Director Purdue University which I think provides some excellent information about dogs and lawns, document in PDF format.
http://www.turfgrasssod.org/images/documents/040120095426688.pdf

Thanks for all your comments. Glad I asked now. I am not bothered by Dylan though he does burn patches and kills off the occasional plant. I just never liked people using those crystals you put in water to stop burning, that can't be natural.

Back