• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

need help/advice fast please!

Katelyn

sigh..I posted a long while ago about a couple I knew that have a cav. They are really lovely people but are a bit clueless when it comes to dogs. They were talking about putting their dog into pup awhile ago to me and I spoke against it because it didn't seem like the best idea as last time they put her into pup (which was her first time) they seemed to do everything wrong (no vet visit,puppies out in a shed that was full of flies..the list goes on) this may make them sound cruel the way im phrasing it but I have to stress again how nice they are and they did dote over the puppies last time they just have a very "dogs are dogs and get along fine without any interference" kind of attitude. Anyway their cav is roughly two I think and is well enough cared for,shes slightly overweight and spends a bit too much time outside in my opinion doesnt get walked enough and they dont have much patience for her but they told me every night she gets up on the couch with them and they cuddle her etc so her life is not all that bad!I havnt spoke to them for a few months and yesterday the wife told me they'd put the dog into pup again and after a bit of digging I found out they never brought her to the vet before or after she was put into pup she got a quick once over from a retired vet they knew but the dog has never been checked for a heart murmer or anything?that cant be ethical?and also she told me the dog is due in 3 weeks and can barely move shes so big she just lies around all day and barely eats anything and yesterday she threw up everywhere.sorry for the very long post but i need more opinions on this!i dont know them extremely well but should i say something?the poor dog could be quite sick and they wouldnt know or she could be totally fine and i wouldnt be very popular!:bang:

If you chance to speak with them it would be wise to head them toward a Vet to make sure this little dog is healthy and going to remain healthy during her labor. They have gotten off with one labor without difficulty but there is no guarantee that the next one will be that way. Some people are so intelligent in many ways but dumb as posts in other ways-just do your best and keep your fingers crossed for this little Cavalier.

Depressing or what? Sorry but they dont sound very nice people to me. You did your best to advise them sweetly last time, and they have ignored you and gone their own sweet way. If it wasnt for the poor little Cav involved I think i'd give up and zoom off in the other direction as soon as I saw them coming into view.

Go on, give it another try, it cant do any harm, and they might even listen this time. You've done your best to help her and there is really nothing else you can do.

ps. Thanks for caring:):).

Best wishes Diane.

she got a quick once over from a retired vet they knew but the dog has never been checked for a heart murmer or anything?that cant be ethical?and also she told me the dog is due in 3 weeks and can barely move shes so big she just lies around all day and barely eats anything and yesterday she threw up everywhere.sorry for the very long post but i need more opinions on this!i dont know them extremely well but should i say something?the poor dog could be quite sick and they wouldnt know or she could be totally fine and i wouldnt be very popular!:bang:

Hello Katelyn,

This is a very difficult situation for you, you obviously quite like these owners and it is difficult to appear to criticise people to their face, but I'm afraid this sounds like a very real example of back yard breeding.

I'm sure if the retired vet gave her a once over he would have listened to her heart, this is a cavalier we are talking about. Do you think they would have told you if he had found a murmur?

I think it is of enormous concern that she is only 6 weeks into whelp and is already so large she can scarcely move. She is either expecting a very large litter or there is something very wrong. The vomiting, especially if it continues should also be a real cause for concern.

They could end up losing both mother & her puppies if they neglect to have her health properly checked.

I don't blame you being worried, a very hard situation for you to be in.

Try suggesting a vet trip and see what happens.

I do hope this story ends well.

Hello Katelyn,

This is a very difficult situation for you, you obviously quite like these owners and it is difficult to appear to criticise people to their face, but I'm afraid this sounds like a very real example of back yard breeding.

I'm sure if the retired vet gave her a once over he would have listened to her heart, this is a cavalier we are talking about. Do you think they would have told you if he had found a murmur?

I think it is of enormous concern that she is only 6 weeks into whelp and is already so large she can scarcely move. She is either expecting a very large litter or there is something very wrong. The vomiting, especially if it continues should also be a real cause for concern.

They could end up losing both mother & her puppies if they neglect to have her health properly checked.

no im afraid he didnt once over her as in give her a proper examination. As far as I know he doesn't still have the apparatus to give dogs check ups I think he just looked at her and felt her a bit. I politely suggested the vet when we were talking the other day and the lady started saying how the retired vet they know is in the house a good bit and he'd know if something was wrong just by looking at her.

Back