PDA

View Full Version : Wasps!



hwowen
4th August 2009, 12:59 AM
Just a general warning to UK & Northern Europe dog owners in general... my two stumbled into a wasp's nest yesterday - looks like it was on the ground hidden in long grass. Both were stung more than once, but thankfully we managed to call them away & into the river to cool their stings. If they had not been supervised, they may well have stayed rolling around on the ground yelping & getting stung even more :(.
Thankfully neither dog had an allergic reaction, & by today the incident seems forgotten, but apparently this year is going to be a 'bad year' for us & a 'good year' for wasps. They seem to be stinging early this year. Both myself & my husband have been stung in separate incidents in different locations!

chloe92us
4th August 2009, 01:43 AM
I've noticed more wasps than usual here in Florida as well.

Brian M
4th August 2009, 09:50 AM
Hi
We have a nest of Bumble Bees under the garden shed ,but they have been fine so far and from what I have read they are no great danger but I do pick some up that have crash landed and put them back by their nest or amongst some flowers ,even tried sugary water to assist with some energy ,I wonder if a straw and a bottle of lucozade would help.:confused:

jasperpaw
4th August 2009, 10:10 AM
Brian don`t your three snaps at the bees, Jasper is bad at snapping at bees, luckily he has never been stung.

Louise1823
4th August 2009, 10:21 AM
Brian don`t your three snaps at the bees, Jasper is bad at snapping at bees

My 3 are like magnets to bee's and wasps!! Millie chases, snaps and will do anything to catch and eat them :eek::eek:
Rex had a bad reaction to a sting before and had to be brought straight to the vet. His whole face was swollen and he was drooling uncontrollably. Thankfully after an overnight stay he was fine, but I always scan the rooms in the summer months to make sure there are no bee's or wasps lurking around in the window sills.. Id be terrified something might happen when Im not there.

bimmum
4th August 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the warning:thmbsup:

pinkpuppy
4th August 2009, 04:35 PM
Tricky and I were just bitten by wasp from their nest. The nest unfortunately was under our front steps. My poor baby is scratching at his head and looking to me for comfort. I'm not sure if he was bitten or not. I know I am and the welt is getting larger past 22 cm. Waiting to see if I am getting allergic from the bites. At least I manage to calm him down with a large chew treat he is now resting on the big bed.

meljoy
4th August 2009, 05:50 PM
Leo ate a wasp last summer:eek: Which of course stung his mouth! His face and mouth swelled up like a little balloon!

I called the vet and she told me to give him a tea spoon of Piriton.

Luckily it worked like a treat and the swelling went down. I was really worried he wouldnt be able to breath properly....I keep liquid piriton in the house now just in case......we have a plum tree in the garden and its a night mare at the moment as the plums are dropping and there are wasps all over the ground:(

Mel

Brian M
4th August 2009, 05:56 PM
Hi

I keep a cavalier first aid box in the car with anti-histamine cream and tablets just in case:)

MadPip
4th August 2009, 07:10 PM
Maddie got stung twice by a wasp on holiday recently. Her own fault - she pounced on it so it stung her foot, then she took it off her foot with her mouth and it stung her lip. She shook it off there and OH went to stamp on it to kill it, but realised he had no shoes on!:eek: Before he could remedy this Pippin ate the wasp :oops: - and didn't get stung!:D

Maddie had hardly any reaction to the stings, probably because she's full of Tavegil (anti-histamine) due to the pollen at the moment. Phew.

I keep a close eye on her now, looking for wasps in the grass before she spots them.

emmawright
5th August 2009, 02:11 PM
Just this afternoon, Bluebell found 3 large wasps, i wondered if they were hornets - they were huge!