PDA

View Full Version : Channel 5 News tonight 5pm & 7pm UK

Sandrac
4th August 2009, 04:49 PM
Apparently there is going to be a section about Puppy Farming on the news tonight.

"ThePet.net co-founder and in-house vet Marc Abraham will be appearing on Channel 5 News this evening to talk about the horrific practice of Puppy Farming in the UK. Marc will also be operating on an ex-breeding bitch, commenting on previously unseen undercover footage taken recently in one of these breeding establishments and giving dog-lovers valuable consumer advice on how to make sure they are not buying a puppy farmed dog."

Sabby
4th August 2009, 06:21 PM
Just watch the news.
Just terrible. Made me cry. I donít know how anybody can do that for money, humans are so greedy. Did you see them poor Cavaliers?

harleyfarley
4th August 2009, 06:27 PM
I dont know if i can watch it, di

Charlotte
4th August 2009, 06:29 PM
Oh damn, i missed it, i'll try and watch the 7pm one if its on again. I hate pupy farming, and your right humans are so greedy. How can they do such a thing! :mad: :(

team bella
4th August 2009, 08:23 PM
Just watched this report and I'm in tears here. Tears for those poor dogs and tears of anger that these disgusting people get away with this.:mad:

I cannot believe that after the report was shown to the local authority that they did nothing and allowed these cockroaches to continue to operate. I want to know how these premises can be inspected and PASS !!! You don't have to be and RSPCA officer to know that these conditions are just wrong. Also where is the RSPCA????? And as for that dog store, well they should be shut down too. I wonder if that particular chain of shops has any shareholders because if it did I would buy shares just to have a voice. I know I'm ranting but I'm upset. I wonder how Wayne Rooney feels now that his photo is being used as publicity, as someone who has purchased a puppy from that store. There's got to be something that can be done. Any ideas

lorebringer
4th August 2009, 08:55 PM
Did not see this but there was also a section about puppy farming on Sky News, so great to see that this is getting the publicity it needs. So many people out there are totally in the dark about this terrible cruelty.

Jay
4th August 2009, 10:43 PM
Is there a link to the news station? The more these stories get press, the better. I only hope that people who see these types of stories don't stop and think "how awful" and then forget about these poor dogs moments later.
J.

Aileen
4th August 2009, 10:48 PM
tryed to put link but could not
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jake---Jazzie)

Brian M
4th August 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Try this one

http://www.fivetvonline.tv/news.php?news=1864

Davy
4th August 2009, 11:05 PM
This is some of the film from the news story :(

http://www.fivetvonline.tv/news.php?news=1848

Jay
5th August 2009, 03:35 AM
Wow, if anyone ever needs to have an image of what puppy mill hell is like, they just need to see that video. Heart breaking. How people can be so cruel is beyond me. I hope that they can get that disgusting place closed down.
J.

Nicki
5th August 2009, 10:05 AM
The Cavaliers were bad enough but the Cockers at the end just tore me up - they have gone crazy from sheer boredom and confinement, so tragic :(:mad:

It's time this was stopped - how on earth can that establishment be authorised???

Although I suspect that once an appoinment is made for the Local Authority inspection, the place is cleared up...

Too many of the dogs had no water, poo everywhere, so many with bad eyes and no evidence of veterinary care.

Bet
5th August 2009, 10:28 AM
There was also an account of these poor Dogs on Sky news.

A thought I had , if the TV News Programs gave this Program a showing 3 or 4 times a Day.

Say a 5 minute clip. Surely anybody wanting a Dog would'nt get their Dog from places like this.

I know the person on Sky being interviewed said that there were Court cases pending but I think he said that two of the ,I won't call them Puppy Farms, how about Intensively Reared Dogs!!, the Two had been granted Licences by the Council, can I mention this ,were there perhaps Brown Envelopes involved.

But where is the RSPCA in all this ,?

Bet(Hargreaves)

Sandrac
5th August 2009, 11:15 AM
I watched the 7pm News - it was the lead story, was in tears by the end of it. It broke my heart to see the Cavvies living their life in darkness.:(

What is needed is another programme like PDE to highlight what hellholes these puppies come from.

You never know maybe these news programmes will get the researchers thinking.

Sabby
5th August 2009, 11:36 AM
What we need is like we have a stop smoking week, get fit week, homeless week and so on and it is highlighted for that week in the media. We need like puppy buyer aware week or something like that. We are supposed to be a dog loving nation.

Charlotte
5th August 2009, 12:13 PM
Ok, i think im kinda glad i didn't watch it :eek: It sounds horrible, things like that make me cry easily. I cry at the slightest film, like them films where the animals talk, and the dog dies or something, and i've used the whole tissue box up :rotfl:

sins
5th August 2009, 12:30 PM
Of course it must have been a shock for people who purchased their pups in that petshop to realise the suffering that may have produced their dog.I wonder how the celebrities feel when they saw their pictures on the walls of the petstore,effectively endorsing the outlet?(namely that soccer player and his lovely WAG).
I can't understand how the councils who licensed the breeding premises expressed concern instead of taking tangible action.
I can't understand how the outlet cannot do more to ensure the highest standards from their "suppliers".
Finally, I cannot understand how people can walk in off the street and select a living creature like a commodity and think this is morally or socially acceptable.(seriously there are pounds full of dogs but they're just not nicely packaged and presented and as well marketed).
That poor cocker spaniel in the report was literally climbing the walls.How anyone cannot see this as a major welfare issue is beyond me.
Sins

Charlotte
5th August 2009, 12:54 PM
Of course it must have been a shock for people who purchased their pups in that petshop to realise the suffering that may have produced their dog.I wonder how the celebrities feel when they saw their pictures on the walls of the petstore,effectively endorsing the outlet?(namely that soccer player and his lovely WAG).
I can't understand how the councils who licensed the breeding premises expressed concern instead of taking tangible action.
I can't understand how the outlet cannot do more to ensure the highest standards from their "suppliers".
Finally, I cannot understand how people can walk in off the street and select a living creature like a commodity and think this is morally or socially acceptable.(seriously there are pounds full of dogs but they're just not nicely packaged and presented and as well marketed).
That poor cocker spaniel in the report was literally climbing the walls.How anyone cannot see this as a major welfare issue is beyond me.
Sins

I agree!! :-X It makes me so ANGRY!!! :-X:-X:-X:-X:-X:-X

tupup
5th August 2009, 01:09 PM
In Dogs Today(Aug) they lead with an editorial about how September 19th is Puppy Farm Awareness Day.
I hope im allowed to copy this.
Its also saying about coming up with a better name for puppy farm/mills as it could give some a nice image of puppys playing in green fields.Suggested names were Battery farmed,puppy dungeons,puppy concentration camps amongst others, by Sept issue they had decided on *battery-farmed puppies* which Dogs Trust is going to use in future campaigns:thmbsup:
These links are given for inspiration-www.awarenessday.org & www.dogs-r-us.org (http://www.dogs-r-us.org)
Thats a good letter in there from you Bet on MVD btw:)
I havnt looked at the links above nor did i see the news but ive spent times sobbing looking at PFs online with Ruby in my arms, as she spent her 1st 4years being used in one of these farms,it breaks my heart & i dont know how she survived it as she really is a softy but then i remind myself she was lucky to get out alive when they couldnt use her anymore
Sins i agree how is it that the whole world is not up in arms about PFs,when they are about battery farmed chickens,veal trade etc

Charlotte
5th August 2009, 01:55 PM
In Dogs Today(Aug) they lead with an editorial about how September 19th is Puppy Farm Awareness Day.
I hope im allowed to copy this.
Its also saying about coming up with a better name for puppy farm/mills as it could give some a nice image of puppys playing in green fields.Suggested names were Battery farmed,puppy dungeons,puppy concentration camps amongst others, by Sept issue they had decided on *battery-farmed puppies* which Dogs Trust is going to use in future campaigns:thmbsup:
These links are given for inspiration-www.awarenessday.org & www.dogs-r-us.org (http://www.dogs-r-us.org)
Thats a good letter in there from you Bet on MVD btw:)
I havnt looked at the links above nor did i see the news but ive spent times sobbing looking at PFs online with Ruby in my arms, as she spent her 1st 4years being used in one of these farms,it breaks my heart & i dont know how she survived it as she really is a softy but then i remind myself she was lucky to get out alive when they couldnt use her anymore
Sins i agree how is it that the whole world is not up in arms about PFs,when they are about battery farmed chickens,veal trade etc

I watched the video and it made me cry, them poor dogs! How could people do that. There cold blooded animals!! :mad: It breaks my heart to see them that way... :(:(:(:(

kmatt
5th August 2009, 09:45 PM
Five News exclusive: Puppy farm cruelty

http://news.five.tv/images/news/1249397792.jpg
Tuesday August 4, 2009 Polly Whitehouse

An exclusive Five News undercover investigation has revealed appalling conditions at puppy breeding farms that supply one of the UK's biggest pet shops.

Secret filming by our Crime Correspondent Jason Farrell showed dogs kept in small, dark pens with no access to outside runs.

Some of the animals clearly had behavioural problems from being kept in a confined space. Some circled on the spot; others cowered in the corner of their cells.

Looking at the footage, TV vet Marc Abraham described the animals' living conditions as the worst he had ever seen in the UK.

"There is no care for these dogs whatsoever, apart from keeping them alive to breed more puppies. It is sick," he said.

Dogs4Us is a well known pet superstore with branches in Leeds and Manchester.

Celebrities who have purchased their dogs from the chain include Wayne and Colleen Rooney.

We spoke to a number of customers who found their puppies were not as healthy as they first thought.

Adele Lewis bought a West Highland Terrier for her 10-year-old son Robert from the store.

Jaka always seemed to be a rather depressed dog and four months after the family bought her, she was suddenly taken ill and had to be put down.

Vets told Mrs Lewis the dog had a defect from birth caused by its mother being over-bred.

The dog originally came from one of the farms filmed by Five News.

When shown the footage, Mrs Lewis said: "It's shocking but at least now I know where he came from and why this happened."

In a statement Dogs4Us said: "All the puppies we purchase are from registered breeders who are also licensed by the local authority, who also carry out inspections of their premises."

Our Crime Correspodent Jason Farrel has written a blog about his experience. Read it here (http://news.five.tv/natashas_newsroom.php?id=751).

Statement from Llwynfallen Dog Breeders

We categorically deny that we have neglected any of our animals or caused them to suffer any distress or ill health. The welfare of all our animals is of paramount importance to us and all of our animals are regularly inspected to ensure that they are fit and healthy. If any animals require treatment, we ensure that they receive the required treatment promptly and without delay.

We have been breeding dogs for many years and at no stage have we received any complaints regarding the welfare of our animals. We are registered breeders and take our responsibilities as breeders very seriously.

Statement from Dogs 4 Us

As you are aware we are a licensed premises with the Local Authority and therefore, subject to announced and unannounced visits by them. We also have announced and unannounced visits from the RSPCA of which both bodies are more than happy with our premises and the service we provide. We dispute your comments and regard this as scare mongering.

All the puppies we purchase are from registered breeders who are also licensed by the Local Authority who also carry out inspections of their premises. Licensed breeders have an annual inspection to obtain their licence.

All are puppies are vet checked on the day of arrival and sold with a 6 month guarantee against any congenital defects no other breeder or establishment gives a guarantee). We also give a 7 day guarantee on any puppy which would cover a settling in period. This guarantee covers against any dietary problems, etc. Again, this help and advice would not be available from anyone else, so to suggest that we would sell pups that are unwell and to give a guarantee is ludicrous. There is also a vet in daily attendance (again this does not happen anywhere else).

We do not have any influence on what happens outside of our 6 month guarantee and we always advice our customers to consider Pet Insurance for their new pet to cover for any eventuality that may possibly arise.

To conclude we have lots of happy customers that return to us again and again as they are delighted with the service we provide which is unique. Our premises are open 7 days a week for public inspection, unlike breeders where you have to make an appointment to inspect.

Here is the article from there website.