• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

really bad ear infection

sunshinekisses

Hello, sunshine was in the vet today for an ear infection...It is not yeast or ear mites. The vet could not see her ear drum due to swelling but did swab her ear and looked under the microscope. He said he only found bacteria. This is her first ear infection I think due to swimming so much and our vacation in the humid climate of the midwest, her ears remained moist for a long period of time. He gave us three meds (one for bacteria, one for yeast, one for inflammation); what else can I do to help her out?

You might ask vet if infection could be intensified by allergies or the humidity. Each Spring our golden retriever gets an ear infection and in addition to antibiotics, I give her benadryl ( over the counter allergy med.) which calms her ear down. Your vet would have to tell you correct dose or suggest another pill if one pill is too heavya dosage.

Heather R

Last edited:
My first Cavalier Rudee spent every day in the sea. She loved swimming and stalking shrimp etc. I kept the insides of her ears shaved in the summer months and she never got any infections. HTH :)

Hope Sunshine is better soon :hug:

Cleaning frequently help my girls, the solution I use has a drying effect when used. Vivian had rusty wax in one ear, treated twice for infections and the last slide did not show any infection that is just what she has. Vet says cleaning once a week is good and may reduce this.

I thought I would bump this instead of starting a new thread...

Took sun back in today to recheck the ear. There is still a bit of drainage and pus. Vet says there is a growth that he may have to do surgery on which is where the infection is. We are trying one more dose of another medication to get the infection out as the vet doesn't want to do surgery unless it is necessary. He shaved her ears to help circulation. I am pretty scared. The surgery word worries me a ton. Anyway, any good thoughts for sunshine might be good...we go back in a week to see progress. She still shows no sign of distress. I guess she has a high pain threshold.

So sorry that Sunshine isn't over infection yet. Does the vet think it is an infection or is there a growth or scar tissue causing the infection?

Heather R

Back