PDA

View Full Version : what kind of comb do you use for grooming?

mounie
8th August 2009, 12:20 PM
Hi all, i have been looking for a comb for the everyday grooming, but i really can't decide which one can be the best for my cav, who is long haired like someone noticed after having seen his pics :rolleyes:
The main types of combs i have seen on the internet are these:
double sided comb
grooming rake
rotating undercoat short/long teeth rake

pls give me some advices, any would be appreciated :xctly:

*Pauline*
8th August 2009, 03:05 PM
For everyday use I recommend a brush with rounded pins. This gets all the tangles out gently then follow with a slicker brush to get knots out.

Nicki
8th August 2009, 06:18 PM
I think we use different things - I have a Mason Pearson brush with a mixture of nylon and natural bristles, which I use first, and then comb the featherings. Sometimes I finish off with the pure bristle Mason Pearson as this gives a nice sheen to the coat.

I do like the combs with rotating teeth, but seem to destroy them pretty quickly!! The stainless steel ones are harder to hold but good if you want to sterilise them...

I really like this comb as it is easy to hold {I have pain in my hands}

http://www.petfavourites.co.uk/Hagen_Slide_n_Lock_Grooming_Comb/1_14947

So far it's lasted well...

Most of my dogs aren't too keen on a slicker brush - so they are brushed and combed every day or every other day, and then I use either a Furminator or Mars Coat King on them, every few weeks to remove the remaining dead coat.

Bathing helps to remove dead coat but I wouldn't recommend bathing them too often - unless you are showing, every 3 months is fine - obviously entire boys will need a quick wipe over underneath {a damp baby wipe works well!} every day, and an undercarriage wash once a week.