PDA

View Full Version : Advice please



susie q
10th August 2009, 03:59 AM
My precious girl has food allergies and even with home cooked meals, and a holistic vet's advice, she has lost weight. I've increased the quantity and changed the protein, in hopes of seeing an improvement. Now it's potato, salmon and carrots, with vitamins and aloe vera pills for digestion.
The stomach acid has caused her back teeth to discolor and the vets says they're infected. I've always heard that this breed doesn't do well with being put under and I don't know what to do. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm new to the group and am glad to have you all!
Susie Q

ppotterfield
10th August 2009, 05:14 AM
I do not have the experience of others with Cavaliers but anesthesia is a risk for all dogs (and humans). I would discuss with your Vet whether there are any alternative treatments for the infections in her gums (I presume) and also whether there are any special risks with having the anesthesia in your dog's case (e.g. MVD). My Buddy has had, for a variety of reasons, had to go under anesthesia four times in the past two years. We have been lucky and have not had any problems but I always hold my breathe.

Good luck to you.

meljoy
10th August 2009, 05:03 PM
Hi,
Sorry you're going through this. Leo has had 3 anesthetics in the last 2 years....and was luckily fine afterwards. A little groggy but fine.
Im sure the vet wouldn't put him under unless necessary, I'd speak to him about it then decide.

Good luck

Mel

arasara
10th August 2009, 06:56 PM
I am so sorry you're going through this :( May I ask where you are located please? Have you looked into getting a second opinion about the allergies? I've never heard of something like this, but if it were my dog, I would want this issue fixed as soon as possible as I would not want the infection to go septic and have a chance of affecting the heart which is important for our beloved breed.

Karlin
10th August 2009, 09:09 PM
I think given the difficulties and concerns, I'd be seeking a specialist opinion now and perhaps starting with a second opinion from a different vet -- this sounds pretty serious on a number of levels. A vet school would probably have an appropriate specialist in gastrointestinal problems.

There's also a significant rate of pancreatitis in cavaliers, just in case this is being misdiagnosed:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

I'd wonder about salmon -- it's pretty fatty and fatty proteins are a cause of acid reflux in dogs. Maybe that's not the best protein to be using?

PS I have talked to vets and neurologists before on this and they say there is absolutely no greater risk to a cavalier than any other average breed for a GA. Problems are rare as is with GA though they do sometimes happen most often due to some underlying problem. I would not be casual about a GA for any random reason, but also you need to do what is needed to help your dog. I have been told by a specialist that for dogs with poor hearts, running around the garden and increasing heart beat is more risky than a GA.

Kate H
10th August 2009, 10:19 PM
Talking to my own vet before Oliver needed an X-ray a few weeks ago, she said that GAs have very much improved in recent years - much less is needed and therefore risk is reduced. However, having said that, at my insistence there is a warning on Oliver's notes to be cautious with any anaesthesia or sedation, as he needs very little. In the end, he had his X-ray without GA and with half the normal dose of sedative. I think you and your vet need to assess the situation for your particular dog - and a second opinion sounds a good idea.

Kate, Oliver and Aled