• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Have I done wrong??

Janice

When we first got Reuben at 8 weeks he had curly hair but the hair on the end of his winkle was very long.

As his puppy hair changed and was flat and smooth this long "winkle hair" was very noticeable. If he stood a little way away from you, you could see it hanging down very obviously (nearly 3").

So I trimmed it off (the hair!!!) and left about half an inch.

Now when he squats for a wee (6 months) it shoots straight forward instead of going down onto the grass beneath him, and mostly goes straight onto the feathers of a front paw. :(

His hair is starting to come in as the adult hair now, the straight smooth stuff on his back has got a slight wave coming... im just wondering is it likely that the "winkle hair" will grow back like before or is he destined to wee all over his front feet for ever?

I know he will cock his leg soon but i expect in our back garden on the grass he will still squat like my last dog did.

I am very annoyed at myself... help!!! :confused:

Hi,

We have Leo trimmed regularly and they trim around his boy bits too.:eek:

Dont worry it will gtow back:D

Mel

Yup this is why most say don't trim their penis hair -- nature puts it there for a purpose. :) many find the longer hair acts as a wick to keep them from a spray-hose affect when peeing... It will take a while to grow back. Don't feel too bad -- the issue comes up now and then and I remember it as being a regular topic on another board years ago! :lol:

It will grow back and don't feel bad- I think *most* people that have boys do trim it, some just can't stand the look of the long "winkle" hair. I could braid Ollie's! However, I have definitely found that keeping it long helps the pee to shoot down instead of out. ;)

My Cav chap is trimmed right down, I leave very little hair (not even a half in inch) so that it shoots out at the perfect angle to just miss his belly hair. He is starting to cock his leg (sometimes, usually without much success - falls over himself) and he pees on his front legs a bit when he does this, hopefully he will learn to balance himself and not do this in time. My Cocker does an acrobatic split when he pees and misses himself totally (his bits are also very closely trimmed) - maybe he could teach my Cav a thing or two! I find when the hair is very short the pressure of the pee stops the dog peeing on themselves. Lovely :rolleyes:

We never trimmed the willy hair but Dylan still peed on his front lag feathers once he learnt to cock his leg, no problems with squatting. He had VERY long feathers on his legs and I cut off about 3 inches of the feathers. Problem solved and of course he learned to aim better.

What a lovely thread!!! :p

thanks guys.. i will wait patiently for it to grow back, although he started cocking his leg today!!!

Count yourself lucky he is cocking his leg, Dougall is two and still squats
like a girl! I put it down to my husband not showing him :fool:

ive heard that leaving in long could make it get infected...but idk. i groom charlie myself and i cut it short. he pees like a girl but misses himself completly. but every so often lifts his leg to pee on a telephone pole...or the new mustangs tires lol :p

Back