• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Im So In Love With My Puppy

LisaluvzCav

Im so fond of my new puppy and i feel like im spoiling her. She nearly always gets what she wants and i never scold her for peeing or chewing my shoes and she loves to sleep on my lap my parents say im ruining her but i thought king charles were lap dogs and i just cant be mad at her little face and puppy dog eyes! Am i ruining her? Will this effect her temprement? Does anybody have any advice? I just love her so much:l*v::lotsaluv:

It will affect her in that she is so in love with you and will just want to please you! I just melt every time I look into my dog's eyes. How can you resist their sweet little faces and the absolute love and trust that they show you? I absolutely have four spoiled (my husband likes to call them indulged rather than spoiled) dogs and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just love her to bits!!!

You shouldn't scold her, especially not for peeing as she won;t associate your anger with the fact that she is just doing what she needs to do (indeed she may start to pee when no one is looking,making housetraining far more difficult!), but it is VERY important that you start training her now -- or the cute puppy chewing will become a nightmare as an adult when it isn't cute but very damaging; she may nip at people inappropriately, and lack of hosuetraining is a BIG BIG problem. So now is the time to be shaping her into the adult you want -- puppies do not stay so little and harmless for very long and she will grow fast. Right now, she needs to learn bite inhibition, she needs to be given things she can safely chew on that are NOT like the things you don't want her to chew on (eg don't give her old socks or shoes to chew!) and she needs daily management to learn where she is supposed to go to the toilet. That means she needs to always be at arm's length so she can be taken outside as needed and constantly watched while she is small. Every single accident inside is a big step backward so your goal needs to be to get her outside every time, and praise and treat, so that she always is successful and never as much as you can possibly manage, gets the chance to go inside and think it is also OK to go there. (y)

I'd recommend you download this book right away and start to have a read as the training and behaviour tips are essential reading for every dog owner. All the family needs to be on board as well so make sure your folks have read it too! Everything in this book will make your life and your puppy's much easier and make it joyful for her to learn. :)

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/after-you-get-your-puppy

hey,

I know their sweet eyes will make you melt, but if you want to have an 'educated' dog, you have to act like it and don't let him rule you... follow the trainer's rules or read this forum which is very helpful, but you already found that out ;)

all the best,
luv my puppy jobs

Last edited:
I know what you mean, its impossible to be angry at them for long. Lady has a terrible habit of barking at any animal that appears on the tv be it real or animated. This really does get out of hand sometimes when she goes crazy so I send her out to the hall for a tme out. Well she just sits outside the door with her head pressed against the glass just staring in at me with those eyes. I feel like she is saying "mommy dont leave me out here all alone" so of course she is not out there 5 minutes and she is back in again. I know, im a sucker but what can i do, i just feel so mean when i ignore her. But on the other hand it does not help her barking problem being left in again like that so now i just have to try to distract her when animals appear. She really is a spoiled little girl.

So if you can curb all these problems before they take hold, my advice would be to do it sooner rather than later.

Having had 3 goldens, a lab and now a cavalier; you must be firm in stopping bad habits from forming. I've never yelled at Abigail when she pees inside; just said no and then took her outside. Recently at 1 year she peed on our good rug and I raised my voice and said "NO".The way she looked at me I knew that she got the point.

Agree with Karlin that your pup needs proper chew toys such as nylabones or kongs stuffed with a treat so that chewing is directed in proper direction. If Abigail got too chewy I gave her a toy. If she kept it up I gave her chew toy and put her in her crate for a few minutes. I didn't say anything but just did it.

Heather R

They sure understand when you say no. Sometimes I think my little Sara understands everything I say. It was so funny the other day when I was talking to my husband and told him we should take the food away since Sara wasn't going to eat it so next thing we know she goes straight there and finishes up everything :)

Back