PDA

View Full Version : Greenies

edel
19th August 2009, 06:57 PM
Have any of you ever given your cavs greenies? they are treats. I read about them before on another forum and heard great things about them so I shipped a packet over from the US. Although she absolutely loved them, they were really expensive to ship over. If you do use them, where do you get them?

Kizzys Mum
19th August 2009, 08:09 PM
We sometimes have them here. You can get them here (http://www.feedem.co.uk/search.html?query=greenies&brands=) for 3.25 per packet - but not sure about shipping to Ireland or here (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dental_care/greenies/48502) a bit more expensive, but they have an Irish version of the website :)

Love my Cavaliers
19th August 2009, 10:39 PM
My experience with Greenie's was not good. Years ago, I used to give them to my older dogs until Oliver swallowed one without chewing really well. It became impacted in his anus and the vet had to go in and get it out. Yuck. He was one sad little boy for a while. Since then they are off limits at my house, but I have heard that the formula has changed so they are more digestible. Don't know if it's true or not, but I'm not going to give them another try.

waldor
19th August 2009, 10:48 PM
Bev - the old Greenies had a problem with splintering and doing bad things to the insides of dogs, and I read the formula has been changed. Still, I would not give it to our Cav. Our Shih Tzu ate the original greenies just fine, no problems, but 3 or 5 years ago I gave Alex a Greenies "Smart Biscuit" and it caused all sorts of havoc with his digestive tract. He didn't eat or drink for 10 days, had to receive IV fluids a couple times, I think the vet was surprised he didn't die.

I won't risk that with our Cav Sophie.

IndyTulip
21st August 2009, 04:51 PM
What about Nutridents? (small size) I have almost a thousand of them at home . i'm waiting until he is an adult before i start feeding him them

Karlin
21st August 2009, 10:45 PM
Greenies -- I buy them in bulk when I am in the US -- the petite size. My crew love them. Hard to find here and more expensive. Zooplus.ie used to carry them, not sure if they still do.

kimy27
21st August 2009, 11:18 PM
I bought a pack once for Bailey and Dylan to try. Bailey thought they were too much like hard work and Dylan gulped it down so fast I was worried he'd have a blockage. I swear that boy practically inhales his food lol. Needless to say I haven't given them any since. Just incase lol.