• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to administer eye drops....

sins

How to administer eyedrops to a reluctant cavalier!!:confused:
Bailey's eye infection has flared up again so is on Chloramphenicol drops.
It's impossible to get them into his eyes.He has no problem allowing me to wipe his eyes with warm water but the minute I produce the small bottle with drops, the clever devil buries his head under his blankets as he know's what's coming.
He also thinks that whatever is in my hand is an edible treat so keeps trying to eat the bottle:rolleyes:...(not a good plan with chloramphenicol).
I don't want to undo all my good work by frightening or forcing the drops on him as he's now easy to cuddle and handle,I managed to get the drops in over the last few days but he's wise to my techniques and he's just totally outsmarting me at the moment......any ideas?
Sins

Oh heck! Are you doing them on your own cos it might be a 2 man job-1 to feed treats & 1 to do drops. Ive no other advice for you as Ruby has always just let me-if i say tippy tippy she tips her head back. You could try having him on your knee to start with(if he's letting you) & doing the drops after lots of hugs & treats?Then more hugs & treats but im thinking you'll have tried that already!

I'm on my own until Friday unfortunately. It is probably a two man job:D
I put him on my knee, he spots the bottle and head immediately goes under my arm:p.I've rolled him onto his back, tickled his tummy and just as I try to let the drop fall he turns head in opposite direction and it gets his ear:rolleyes:..

When im doing Rs i have one hand holding her eye open & the other hand with drops & that way she doesnt move her head but im not sure she would move anyway & of course you dont want to frighten Bailey by holding him tight...you could try whilst he's asleep, very gently? i hope someone has the answer for you:)

Ah well, I decided to go for a half nelson with the bottle arm and an under chin hold with the other:eek:.It was all done in about ten seconds while he was in his basket.
Not ideal, but he didn't snap or growl and he still wanted a cuddle.
The reality is that he needs the drops, he was due for eye surgery and it was cancelled as the ulcer had started to heal,we can't allow any more damage to be done to the eyes.
Sins

Don't know if this helps but I cup the bottle in my hand and then put the drops in from the back,i.e. my hand is over the head. Use my other hand to scratch under the chin and they love that too much to move. :)

Mags is so food motivated that I've had luck just holding a real high value treat above her head in one hand, and when she's focused on it, sneak the bottle from behind her head and DRIP! We have to be quick to give her the treat and get a grip so she doesn't run off. But I think we are maybe just very lucky that she will STARE at her food. It helps if you don't telegraph that you're about to do something unpleasant, then for sure she'll be off. Good luck....

I do the same as Frecklesmom... the vet said its easier that way because they don't see it coming in front of them and they get scared! I usually gie Bella a neck scratch with her in my lap with her back towards me, paws on my knees. Once she tips her head up for the scratch, I bring the drops out and over her head from behind, and drop them in. I do it on my own, Bella tends to freak out if she sees my oh and I both coming at her... she knows something is up!!! :eek: Good luck!

I found treats really helped. I won't explain how I give drops as Dylan just sits there, tilts his head back and lets me do it.

I've tried 3 different drops, one like water, one where it's slightly thicker and plops nicely into the eye then there's the greasy cream. With the greasy cream that curls up as you squeeze the tube, I dangle a string of the stuff from my finger and pull down the bottom lid and put it in. Wash hands before and after.

I use disposable nitrile gloves Pauline.
Trouble with Bailey is his lack of experience of being handled and he adopts a policy of non cooperation plus he thinks the bottle is a treat and tries to grab it with his mouth,even when there is a slice of roast beef in front of his snout:p
On the cleverness scale this guy is at least a nine out of ten:p and can take evasive manoeuvres to avoid the drops.
There's only another four days of drops to go anyway so we'll get through it.The green gunk is gone from the eyes but there's still some redness there and they look a bit irritated.We're winning thoughcl*p
Sins

Ah well, I decided to go for a half nelson with the bottle arm and an under chin hold with the other:eek:.It was all done in about ten seconds while he was in his basket.
Not ideal, but he didn't snap or growl and he still wanted a cuddle.
The reality is that he needs the drops, he was due for eye surgery and it was cancelled as the ulcer had started to heal,we can't allow any more damage to be done to the eyes.
Sins

I find this is the best way. Chrissie needs drops at the moment and I find the best way is to put my arm around her and hold her tight. It only takes a few seconds to get it done and she goes off quite happily then!!

Back