• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

For those of you with spayed ladies

tupup

Is this normal? Ruby was spayed about this time last year but since then she always has a little dried blood & like a white paste on her*bits*,it doesnt bother her at all ie.she's not always licking at herself. Its not a red blood but a dark old blood colour,not a lot,it never drips but sits there in a thin line as does the white paste sticking her fur in a line.Her first & only season with me was normal except she went into phantom pregnancy after her spay.Prior to being with me she had ?? many litters at a PF & has a cesarean scar.
I did ask our vet 2weeks ago when Ruby had to go for a blood test,he said there was definite "pasting" but said "lets worry about one thing at a time":-? So is it normal or is it a problem? I usually wipe it away every few days(not more often as she gets upset if you go near her bits & who can blame her) Sorry if this is a little delicate for some but i need to know if this needs attention,thank you for any help in advance

Have no experience with this, but it does sound odd. I would push your vet for some answers. But the reality is, if he saw it and wasn't alarmed, perhaps it's nothing to worry about! (y) Fingers crossed for her.

Geez, I'd be wanting a bit more out of my vet than that. I'd take her somewhere else and get a second opinion. That sounds very strange.

That is not right. Something is wrong there and you need a Vet who's interested enough to check it out. Healed does not mean drainage of any sort so I'd say there is a deficit in the surgical healing. gee whiz!

Sorry I have no idea. Bailey was spayed at 6 months but I have never experienced anything like you describe. I would def push the vet to look into it further :)

Freya my akita when she first came to me on foster had closed pyometra (SP) she was speyed imidiately & afterwards had a white discharge like you describe, she had quite a bad infection that required anti biotics, this was after she had been neutered, i would definately get it checked out.

Cass had a phantom after her season & then once she was over that she was spayed - she's never had anything like that either - I would defo push the vet on it though it dosnt sound right at all to me either.

Good luck xx

I wonder if it could be from her bladder? It's all tucked up quite close in there with the lady parts.

I agree it sounds very odd- and I think I would find a new vet. One that would take the time to answer all my questions and concerns.

I was thinking pyometra too. There is a very small risk of this in spayed dogs I believe and also could be a risk if all tissue wasn't properly removed during the spay. I would really urgently get a second opinion. It could be blood and pus.

Thank you everyone,my gut told me this wasnt normal.Im seriously considering taking Ruby back to our "old" vet,id had to move as the new guy is more up on SM but she is on the right meds for that now & im not happy with his "bedside" manner tho thought i was just being fussy mum.Karlin i nearly PM'd you about your opinion on us moving back but i know you are snowed under right now.
Either vets-i will try to get her in tomorrow,thanks again all for advice & support
PS. Last week Ru had an accident(my fault & ive been too ashamed to post about it)but she had concussion,rushed to vets & they called him out from his day off-very good,they wanted him to see her due to her knock on her poor SM head.He checked her over well but then gave her an injection in her leg(affected SM shoulder leg)& my darling screamed the place down & even bit down on my shoulder she was so distressed,he turned to his nurse & commented about Rubys "oscar winning performance" so the decision to change vets was made right then,the only question is do i go back to our old one or try the only other remaining vet in town??

Back