PDA

View Full Version : Misty's ate a peach stone

murphy's mum
20th August 2009, 07:31 PM
I feel sick to the pit of my stomach just now. I came home late today, as I had a Physio appointment. Hubby was not long in the door himself, the first thing he asked me was if I had thrown a peach stone into the small wicker bin.:confused:

I had done, yesterday. It seems he had seen me coming up the path, and turned round to see Misty swallowing something which he though was a peach stone. I looked through the bin and it was gone right enough.:yikes

I immediately called ours vets and took her in. They checked her over, but couldn't do anything tonight, as she'd eaten. She's being fasted now, and will be taken back in tomorrow morning. She needs an x-ray to confirm the stone is there, and what condition its in. If it has broken up, which we doubt as she swallowed it in one gulp, then they will let her pass it if the fragments are small enough. If not its an operation to remove it, and then a couple of days spent under the vets care, as the risk of infection is very high:(

I feel so stupid, I don't put food in the wee bin, for obvious reasons, but didn't consider the peach stone at all:mad:

She's been at the vets more often that I can remember since we rescued her, poor lamb. First it was ear trouble, then a sore leg, an eye operation the other month, and a stomach upset only 2 weeks ago. We haven't even had her a year. I don't know if my Hubby and I are cursed or if it's my poor little Misty.

I can't stand the thought of not having her here for 2 or 3 days, and god knows how she'll react. I hope she doesn't think she's been abandoned.

*Pauline*
20th August 2009, 08:56 PM
Please keep us posted. I hope everything will be ok. :hug:

tupup
20th August 2009, 09:10 PM
I do hope she goes on ok,let us know plse,poor you & poor Misty:flwr:

pippa
20th August 2009, 09:33 PM
Fingers crossed she will be ok...don't feel bad it was a mistake any one of us could have made.

murphy's mum
20th August 2009, 09:49 PM

I was praying she would be sick and bring it up, but she's been fine. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed she's okay.

sins
20th August 2009, 09:50 PM
Good luck tomorrow,hopefully it'll pass through, but getting an x ray is the most sensible thing.Try not to think too far ahead and just try and get some sleep tonight.I know it's very worrying for you but whatever happens the vet will do what's right in the circumstances.
Sins

meljoy
20th August 2009, 10:36 PM
Oh No:(

Good luck....keep us posted

Mel

team bella
20th August 2009, 10:39 PM
:xfngr: fingers crossed and paws that nature takes its course and no op is required. Keep us posted & good luck

Sabby
20th August 2009, 10:57 PM
Hoping that everything turns out ok without an op.

Karlin
20th August 2009, 11:23 PM
Hopefully it will pass through. Let us know what you hear tomorrow.

misty
21st August 2009, 12:10 AM
Oh Misty girl :(.

(( hugs )), Paula - I'm sure it'll all go ok. Thinking of you both and Misty. Please give her a kiss for me cos she's a special one.

Cathy T
21st August 2009, 02:24 AM
I can only imagine how worried you are but thank goodness you know what she ate and caught her doing it. Will be thinking about you.

murphy's mum
21st August 2009, 08:25 AM
Well we're off to the vets in 10 minutes. I'm exhausted, I couldn't sleep. All these terrible things kept floating around in my head. I went downstairs at 2am for a cup of tea, and the two of them were sound asleep:slp:

What a look I got for disturbing them:rolleyes:

We had extra long cuddles in bed this morning, Misty loves to lie with her cheek against mine:luv:

Thanks very much for the support everyone. I'll post later :hug:

Catareta
21st August 2009, 09:57 AM
Aww poor Misty, good luck..
They are so funny when you disturb them aren't they hehe.. x

kimy27
21st August 2009, 10:15 AM
Hope everything goes well today :hug:

pippa
21st August 2009, 11:12 AM
Wishing you good luck for misty today.

Nicki
21st August 2009, 01:03 PM
Hope it went well today and Misty is ok - thank goodness you knew it had happened.

Bless her Misty is such a sweetheart - I met her when "Misty" on the board was fostering her - she was adorable.

misty
21st August 2009, 01:07 PM
Hope it went well today and Misty is ok - thank goodness you knew it had happened.

Bless her Misty is such a sweetheart - I met her when "Misty" on the board was fostering her - she was adorable.

Oh Nicki, I'd forgotten you'd met Misty - of course it was November when we saw you, I remember now :).

She's a real poppet.

murphy's mum
21st August 2009, 05:23 PM
She's had her op, and is in recovery now. She's on a drip for fluids, and medication. They want to keep her lightly sedated tonight, and she may need to be kept in all weekend:(

The main thing is she's doing okay:-D The stone had started to leave the stomach so it was a bit tricky to retrieve it. He checked the rest of her intestines too, as there was a lot of gassy build up.

The duty nurse will try and call me later to let me know how she is. I'm not allowed to see her, as they want to keep her quite. I have to call again mid-morning to get another update, and they should know then how long she will be in for. I'll be asking to visit her tomorrow if they are keeping her all weekend though.

We just need to keep hoping she doesn't get an infection:xfngr:

murphy's mum
21st August 2009, 05:31 PM
Fran I tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox is full. I've PM'd you on Spaniel Chat:wggle:

Love my Cavaliers
21st August 2009, 05:36 PM
It's so hard for us as owners when our dogs are sick and not with us. Like Misty, Oliver had abdominal surgery several years ago when he swallowed a cat toy at a friend's house. He lost two feet of his intestines. He stayed in the hospital for at least two nights and kept himself pretty quiet for a while like staying in the crate all day even though he had been out of it for a long while. It must have felt secure for him. He did great as I'm sure Misty will. He eats anything now and you'd never know he was one sick little boy a while back. When I went to visit him at the hospital, he really looked like it didn't really matter if he saw me or not. He felt so bad and was on pain medication. It was funny to see that they had wrapped his tail so it wouldn't get in the way of his surgery, so they might have done that with Misty too. We're rooting for Misty to come home soon. If she has to stay tonight, does that mean she's in all weekend or could she maybe come home tomorrow? Guess it depends if she's eating, drinking, and eliminating o.k. Good luck. She'll be back in your arms soon.

sins
21st August 2009, 05:37 PM
Best wishes to Misty for a speedy recovery.Hopefully she'll be comfortable for the weekend and be back home where she belongs before long.
How are you after the ordeal?
Sins

murphy's mum
21st August 2009, 05:54 PM
If she has to stay tonight, does that mean she's in all weekend or could she maybe come home tomorrow? Guess it depends if she's eating, drinking, and eliminating o.k. Good luck. She'll be back in your arms soon.

I think it's normal procedure for them to be in 2 nights after this type of surgery. The vet may have been trying to cheer me up by hinting she 'may' get home tomorrow.

I know she's probably been through the worst but I can't help but still worry. Maybe it's for the best I can't see her tonight, as she probably looks terrible, it would probably feel worse.

Sins, I feel better now I know she's okay, but I wont stop worrying until she's home with us as normal.

Cathy T
21st August 2009, 06:03 PM
So glad the surgery was successful and they were able to retrieve the pit. It's probably best that you don't go see her right now since they want to keep her calm...and you know as soon as she sees you she'll get excited ;) I think the worst is over and now it's just a matter of letting her recover and then come on home.

misty
21st August 2009, 06:21 PM
I'm so pleased the op's over - been thinking about her all day.

Misty loves you so much that she would be overjoyed to see you, but it's obviously better for her this evening just to be allowed to sleep it off. Keep us posted - it won't be long til she's home and belching in your face :).

kimy27
21st August 2009, 06:29 PM
Great news that the surgery went well. Shame you can't see her but hopefully you will get to see her tomorrow :xfngr:

heather r
21st August 2009, 08:31 PM
Just checked in and saw your post. I really hope that Misty is doing well and I know that you will sleep soundly once she's home.

Heather R

murphy's mum
21st August 2009, 08:50 PM
The house feels very empty without my little shadow here. She's normally following closely behind, just in case someone goes near the doggy cupboard:rolleyes:

She's always tucked up, with her head on my lap while I'm on my laptop. She makes sure she gets as close as she can, to the extent of sitting on top of Murphy to make him move out the way:lol:

She's a right little bully, poor Murphy is normally sat on, or shouldered out the way so she can get in. It's very quiet with out her snores in the background. We all feel a little lost here, except for the cats, as they get bullied too when Misty's here.

This pic says it all, our little ''Princess''
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/icklp360/DSC00160.jpg

Daisy's Mom
21st August 2009, 10:17 PM
Oh, that is too cute! Poor Murphy does look much beleaguered! :p

I hope you get to bring a healthy Misty home very soon!

Sabby
21st August 2009, 10:51 PM
Hope that Misty is going to make a quick recovery. :flwr:
She be a lot better once she is back home with you.

Karlin
21st August 2009, 10:55 PM
Oh goodness I missed all this til now; sounds like you were very lucky to check with the vet as you did and that had it been left, it might have become a real problem. You did all the right things; she will be a lot better by tomorrow! Hope she can go home then.

pippa
22nd August 2009, 12:41 AM
Glad the op went well, hoping Misty will be home with you soon.

harrysmum
22nd August 2009, 08:27 AM
So glad to see that Misty is ok after her op. :)
It is such a good thing you were aware of what she had swallowed. We have to be so vigilent with these little dogs they are proper hoovers!
Hope Misty is back home with you very soon.:)

Bet
22nd August 2009, 08:48 AM
It's great that Misty is over the first big Hurdle, I know it seems a long time time before you will see her , but she sure is in the best place.

Our Pippa ,once ate a Plastic Clothes Peg ,she was the lucky one !!! unconcious because of the Operation, I had no finger nails left!!

Bet (Hargreaves)

murphy's mum
22nd August 2009, 11:15 AM
Just got off the phone to the vet. Misty's had a great night, she was so good and kept the drip in all night:D

She still needs to be on a drip all day today, while the stitches knit. They will try her with a small amount of food tomorrow. I feel much better knowing she's been okay last night, and I know it's best she stays in. Especially as she hasn't tried any food yet.

We are going to see her at half 12 too:rah: I can't wait!

sins
22nd August 2009, 11:25 AM
That's all very encouraging News about Misty.Is she on IV antibiotics?
Sins

pippa
22nd August 2009, 12:08 PM
Good news, let us know how you get on after you see her:)

murphy's mum
22nd August 2009, 03:05 PM
That's all very encouraging News about Misty.Is she on IV antibiotics?
Sins

She is:)

She's not been drinking very much, so thats why she's still on fluids too. But she looks great. She has a huge blue bandage on her leg to hold the IV in place, but the wound looks very clean.

She went crazy when she saw us though. Lots of wet kisses all round :D
She whimpered, and talked the whole time we were there. Obviously telling us off for cutting her open, when she didn't feel ill, and then leaving her LOL.

I feel 10 times better now that I've seen her, and the duty nurse, Sally, is going to keep us updated with her progress. They will try her with a teaspoon of Hills Prescription tomorrow morning. So fingers crossed she will eat it as normal.

Phoebe
22nd August 2009, 04:37 PM
I've been following this thread and I'm thrilled to hear that your little girl is recovering well. She will be home before you know it.

pippa
22nd August 2009, 04:54 PM
So glad Misty is doing well and you got to see her.

Fingers crossed for her first try with food tomorrow, keep us posted.

Cathy T
22nd August 2009, 05:14 PM
Excellent news!! Sounds like she's going to be just fine. Quick thinking on your part, knowing what she ate and getting her to the vet...all the right things!

chloe92us
22nd August 2009, 05:32 PM
What a relief! I am impressed your husband caught the peach pit- I would never have even considered it....good thing you reacted as quickly as you did! Hope she's home soon.

misty
22nd August 2009, 05:48 PM
Whew - really, really pleased for you all :).

Misty really loves you so much and I'm just loving your description of how pleased she was to see you. Bless her heart. Please give her extra special kisses from me when she gets home.

Sandrac
22nd August 2009, 06:27 PM
So pleased to hear that Misty is now "stoneless" and recovering from her op. Heres hoping she will soon be back at home with you were she can continue her recovery with lots of cuddles.:flwr:

edel
22nd August 2009, 06:59 PM
Thank goodness its nearly all over, hope you get your baby home soon.

bimmum
22nd August 2009, 08:26 PM
Hope Misty continues to recover well and is back to you really soon:*nana:

lady and amber
22nd August 2009, 10:43 PM
So glad Misty is doing well, won`t be long before she is back to full health. my first dog had to have the same opperation when he was two, as he ate a rubber door stop without my knowing, he went on to live to 15 years old.

murphy's mum
23rd August 2009, 09:41 AM
Thank for your support everyone :hug:

I should hear from the nurse later today to let me know how she's went with her first lot of food. Hopefully, Misty being a starving little madam, it shouldn't pose a problem :rolleyes:

murphy's mum
23rd August 2009, 04:44 PM
:updte:

The nurse just called again. The IV was removed this morning. She's eating no problem, typical Misty :D She's kept it down as well, I've to call mid-morning tomorrow to see if we can bring her homeb*n*n*

Hopefully this time tomorrow she'll be settled back home where she belongs. Although, I don't know how I'm going to break it to Murphy, he's loved being an only child again:rolleyes:

Aileen
23rd August 2009, 07:29 PM
So pleased for you:mexwav:
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie----Jake)

heather r
23rd August 2009, 07:41 PM
Really great news about Misty!

Have a great welcome home party for both dogs:w**h**:

Heather R

Claire L
25th August 2009, 09:10 AM
I was away for a few days so I missed this post. Thank God Misty was spotted eating the peach pip :eek: I am so glad it all turned out ok in the end.

:hug: :hug: