• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Phantom pregnancy and galastop

leesanlucie

Hi everyone
I have a 15 mth old bitch that is now on her 2nd phantom pregnancy.
Two weeks ago her milk all filled up and she developed an abcsess and was very unwell.At the time we tried galastop but she was constantly sick and lethargic so was taken off it on vets advice.After 5 days she seemed to return to normal but then on wednesday i noticed she was carrying her teddy about and was very aggressive towards my other dog so we alternated time in their crates and she seeme better on the thursday.
Friday morning we got up to her being sick and rather depressed looking.Got my vet to have a look at her and said put her back on galastop again...and she will have to be on it till she is speyed.(she was due to be speyed this week)but my vet would rather her have no milk.

The problem is the galastop....i administered it at 8pm last nite.She has been sick(which vet said that would prob happen) so i have to dose her every 2nd until her body gets used to it.But in the last hour she has just went to the toilet and has bloody diarrheoa. She is now booked in for the 31st to be spayed and has to be on galastop till then....although vet said yest that she will look at her monday and if she is happy will try get her done next week.

Am just basically wondering if anyone has had side effects with the galastop?

Sorry for the long post!

Have you told your vet about the bloody diarrhea? I'd be sure they know of this. Poor thing sounds like she is having a very hard time. Maybe PM Nicki or Margaret C on Galastop; they might be aware of it and have some suggestions?

That's great that your vet is working to help and recommends spaying. This would stop the cycle which is very hard on the dog (as you have seen :( ) -- a dog that goes into phantom pregnancies like this tends to continue to have them according to my vets, as I've had to deal with this a few times. They can also go into one continuous long phantom pregnancy. Also cavalier females statistically have a VERY high risk of pyometra -- it is an alarming 41% risk over the dog's lifetime according to a large study of insured dogs in Sweden (I'd recommend giving this to your vet), and this is often fatal especially with pet dogs as owners are not as familiar as breeders in recognising the signs. So overall you are making a good move.

For anyone unfamiliar with pyometra, see: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=23840

Back