• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Car sickness

Zoezoe

Hi, just wondering, everytime Zoe is in the car more than 30 minutes she gets car sick. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you treat it?
Thanks,
Osanna and Zoe

Most dogs get ill because of the motion they see outside the car. Crating a dog (never in the front seat where there's an airbag, of course) is one of the best methods and best for safety generally. You can cover the crate (plastic or wire crate, never fabric which is NOT safe!) with a lightweight sheet or towel. Many puppies grow out of this problem as well be age 1 or so. Also gradually introducing the dog so it doesn't suddenly have to be in the car for long trips helps. Play calming music like a classical station. And don't fuss over an ill dog -- remember when you were nauseous as a child the worst thing was someone talking and fussing over you! Just let her sit quietly in her crate. Give her a reward after short trips to reduce anxiety with the whole concept of the car. And do NOT feed anything before longer car journeys -- even dogs that like car travel often lose their breakfast in a car.

Besides Karlin's suggestions, try a couple of ginger biscuits before travelling! Sounds daft, but ginger settles the tummy, and most dogs love gingernuts!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

We put Charlie in a crate aswell, and he just falls asleep after about 5 minutes. He's really good at traveling!

If it's a real problem, there is a prescription medication called Cerenia (not 100% sure of the spelling). It's the same medication that is used to treat nausea, but a different dosage for car sickness. Your vet can help you decide whether you should consider this.

As with any medication, I'd personally use it as a last resort only if all natural methods mentioned above have failed. Any medication is going to have possible side effects and impact the internal organs to some degree, so you just want to keep that in mind and weigh the risks.

That said, my sister uses this for her dog Razz, and it's made a world of difference as now he really enjoys outings with us again, and he's noticably happier and more alert inside the car.

Thank you all for your suggestions! Next week I'm going to make an appointment with the vet next week and in the meantime if we do go anywhere I will try ginger and Karlin's suggestions. I do make it a point on days when we know we are going somewhere to limit Zoe's intake, but especially during the summer we run off on random trips, like 30 min drive up to the river for swimming. Plus, we live in a small town where most necessities are a 20 minute drive from our house. She does fine for quick dives around town.
Anyways, Thanks, I'll be sure try those things during the next week, and will be asking the vet about cerenia for longer trips.
-Osanna and Zoe

By the way, if you are not driving alone, you might also want to look into the Tellington Touch ...

http://www.ttouch.com/whatisTTouch.shtml

It is supposed to be useful for carsickness as well. I've never tried it for that, but Lucky and Sparky love having their ears massaged and it really relaxes them. The link above tells you more what the TTouch is, but if you google you could also find video demonstrations on YouTube, etc. I know Pauline has used it with Dylan (not necessarily for carsickness though)

Back