• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

coughing after drinking water?/diarreah

cram10

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. We have never had a dog before, and decided to get a cavalier. We got her about 2 months ago. Maggie is now 5 1/2 months old. I have noticed that every time she drinks water, she coughs once or twice immediately after. Is this normal. Upon doing some research, I read that coughing can be a sign of a heart or lung problem? Maggie does not cough when running, playing, panting, etc. It is only after she drinks water. What could it be? Anything serious?

Also, she has had diarreah since we brought her home. Her first fecal exam came back positive for coccidia. She was treated with albon. The next fecal exam came back with giardia. She was treated with metronidazole. Her most recent fecal exam (yesterday) was negative for parasites. However, she has continued to have soft stools. She only goes to the bathroom 2-3 times per day, but her stools are always soft and mushy. I figured it was the parasites causing this, but yet, it continues. What could be the problem here?

Finally, is it bad for her teeth if we mix in a spoonful of canned food in with her kibble? Over the past 2 weeks, we have slowly been weening her off Eukanuba and onto Merricks. She refuses to eat dry food alone, so we continue to mix a slight spoonful of canned pedigree in with her kibble.

Thanks for any responses or advice you can offer!

I will try to answer your questions...

Coughing after drinking: Normal. She probably just drinks too fast. Two of mine do it.

Diarrhea: Not normal. If there are no more parasites, then it may be her food. Eukanuba is not that great- Merricks is much better! :wink:

Yes it's okay for you to mix in soft with dry food. I heard this analogy recently (this is my version of it): If we eat crackers instead of ice cream, we still have to brush our teeth right? Same with dogs.

Welcome to the board and to the wonderful world of Cavaliers!

regarding the soft stools perhaps as she's had the parasite problem & been on medication for a while she needs some pro-biotics so you could try adding some natural yoghurt onto her food or get some pro-biotics from the pet shop or chemist.

Good luch with her!

Gus 7 1/2 years old alway coughs after drinking water and has a very healthy heart and lungs,he just drinks too fast.

As for the mushy stools I had this problem with one of mine after illness and got some probiotics from the vet which sorted him out.

Back