• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Law

frecklesmom

Pennsylvania has a new law that prohibits unlicensed people from performing surgical births (read butchery c-sections on puppy mill dogs), debarking, tail docking. If they can get enough inspectors and prosecute offenders quickly this should be of great help in regulating the industry and getting many millers to quit. Can only be of benefit to Cavaliers who suffer greatly in the mills.

http://www.ldnews.com/news/ci_13215307

It is a definate step in the right direction!!

What do you guys think of changing dogs' classification as "livestock?" This classification puts dogs (thus mills) under the regulation of the USDA. I would personally like to see this change, in the hope of gaining better monotoring / regulation / standard of care for dogs in commercial breeding facilities. Is this just me being naiive?

Government encouraged this "industry" but now does little to govern it. I think it is absurd to place companion animals under the grouping of livestock. The continuous nibbling at the industry with some laws is an improvement over the past and the economy is helping. Yesterday a friend told me her husband saw an ad in the paper (I couldn't find it) to the effect (paraphrased) closing kennel, if you want a dog come and get it-free.
I thought this article was interesting-I didn't know smaller "breeders" did not have to meet requirements.

About the U.S.D.A. and Puppies

What comes to mind when you see those initials?

Your first thought is correct. The United States Department of Agriculture. The department that stamps our meats and many other consumer products as having been inspected.

WELL GUESS WHAT ... They are also the department that's responsible for regulating and licensing dog breeders and their brokers and those responsible for the transportation of puppies to market........Puppies .......considered just other pieces of meat.

Could anything be more absurd?

We all know there are never enough inspectors to cover this massive barbaric pregnancy for profit puppy mill industry.

APHIS.....Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services. They are to provide standards of humane care and treatment of animals, under the USDA they are in charge of regulating commercial breeders and enforcing AWA...the Animal Welfare Act of 1966. Under the AWA, only certain large scale commercial breeders are required to be licensed and inspected by the USDA.

The AWA is enforced by the USDA and federal law governs the handling, treatment and transportation of commercially bred dogs.

There are approximately 70 inspectors for over 10,000 facilities.

They are not only responsible for inspecting puppy mills but also for inspecting zoos, research facilities, circuses, etc., etc.

Can we guess why so many mills are now only inspected every 2 to 3 years?

They now do a Risk Based Inspection. USDA records show that licensed breeders who have multiple and repeated violations

continue without fine or termination of license "for even a short period of time". They just keep breeding and selling, selling and breeding in the most cruel fashion.

USDA license is only required if there are four or more breed-able females. The government considers puppy farms as an agriculture commodity.

USDA, enforceable standards are:

Animals are to be kept clean - healthy proper shelter - sufficient food and water. YET! These are the most violated standards.

Unless the breeder sells puppies to pet stores, they aren't even

"regulated" by the USDA !!

http://www.puppymilltruck.com/index_files/AboutTheUSDA.htm

Back