PDA

View Full Version : Large Travel Crate Ideas??

Louise1823
27th August 2009, 10:21 PM
Im so excited to say that we will be collecting our first 4x4 tomorrow :w**h**:
We've wanted to get one for a long long time and we finally found what we were looking for yesterday. Its a commercial jeep, which means we have loads of space in the back just for the dogs and this is what I need help with.
Im now on the hunt for a new crate for the back - Im looking for something large enough to carry all 3.
The only ones Ive managed to find so far (that would be big enough) are steel, and I would prefer a plastic style one.
Ive googled, searched on all the usual pet store websites that I would normally check and looked up old posts from here, but I cant find anything. I dont think the largest Atlas/Vari Kennel ones would be big enough.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions where I could find one?

Karlin
27th August 2009, 10:25 PM
Well: it is safer not to get a huge crate where, in an accident, the dogs could be thrown around. It is safer for them to maybe split them between two smaller crates that are the standard size for a dog (eg large enough for the dog to fully stand and turn around and lie down).

If you have a back area, I'd fit two crates in there and put two dogs in one, and one in the other. Or fit three crates. You need the crates to be secured, not loose as well.

Claire L
27th August 2009, 10:46 PM
A 4x4.............SWANKY :biggrin: Congratulations! what make is it?

If it were me; I would opt for separate crates for the doggies and make sure that they are securely attached to something in the back.

I'm sure Brian will be able to advise you. He has a 4x4 doesn't he?

Congrats and Go n-éiri an bothar leat :drivecar:

Karen and Ruby
27th August 2009, 10:49 PM
I have a freind who owns and estate now he only has 2 dogs but the design is kinda like a horse box which fits in to the shape of the car- each dog has his own compartment but with a metal door the cage itself is plastic. Its a bit like what police departments use for there dogs.

www.dogtrailers.co.uk (http://www.dogtrailers.co.uk)

This has some good choices and you can also get 2nd hand or ex display for cheaper options!#

Karen

Louise1823
27th August 2009, 10:51 PM
Hadn't thought of getting more than one - but thats a good idea I suppose. Could maybe get the large Atlas for Rex and Chloe and get Millie a smaller one just for herself (somehow I think she's going to LOVE the idea of that :D)
Will be able to take exact measurements tomorrow to see how much space we have and what would fit. Once we get the right crates, we need to figure out how to secure them in place. Derek has an idea or two of how were going to do this.
I want to get a water/mud proof flat sheet too - sooooo excited! this is going to make trips out with the dogs soooo much easier!

Louise1823
27th August 2009, 10:55 PM
what make is it?

Thanks Claire! Its a SsangYong Rexton. We had been looking at other models, but when we stumbled accross this we just fell in love! Its practically brand new - everything is still all covered in plastic and only 9km on the clock! Its 2 years old, but has never been owned.
Just hope I'll be able to drive it now (never mind park it!!) icon_blshing

TKC
27th August 2009, 11:44 PM
Hey we can get you the atlas from supplier no problem. The largest MAXI is for a Bernese and would fit 3 cavaliers no problem! ~Also there is a plastic grill inside them which allows any debris or liquid to fall through if there were any accidents. It can be divided into 2 parts as well. I have a commercial jeep and the crates don't move at all in the back but you can secure with bungee cords. You will get the rubber on ebay or halfords.

Let me know if this helps.

Also thanks for the post no need though so won't be lodging that ;)

pippa
27th August 2009, 11:48 PM
No ideas on the crate but congrats on the new car!

MARK MARSHALL
28th August 2009, 09:35 AM
You could contact one of the companies who provide crates for Air Transport. They advertise in Dog World etc.

Then it comes down to money. I had a beautiful aluminium, folding show trolley made with lockable wheels and doors x 3. The inside area can be made to have one, two or three partitions ?

It is easy to lift in and out and can then be used around the house for feeding times, puppies etc etc.

The Company concerned is 'Dog Show Trollies.com'

Not cheap but good service and excellent workmanship.

Dont like big plastic cages as they flex too much and the doors open !

Regards Mark.

Dublin
28th August 2009, 11:43 AM
I like the steel ones that have the divider in personaly

Have a look on www.zooplus.ie (http://www.zooplus.ie) they have quite a good selection & I think have free delivery on the cages

heres a good large one that has a divider http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/metal_cages_and_boxes/129663

Brian M
28th August 2009, 02:20 PM
Hi Louise

This is my crate in the back of my CRV ,the pic I have posted before .The crate is slanted on the side of the doors and it takes 3 of mine easily and they have room to each lie down ,inside there is a non spill bolt on water bowl and outside clipped on there are 2 fans to aid air circulation though the 4x4 does have zonal air con plus I had fitted a link to the air con and direct to the boot area ,the minus point is when fully stocked theres no room for any human stuff in the back so when we go on hols I fit a roof box on to take our gear.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3303/3316096473_6ecb6c1aa3_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3419/3316917602_932f19d112_b.jpg

IndyTulip
28th August 2009, 06:56 PM
i use a nylabone small carrier for now...when he grows up i want to try the four paws safety seat harness..it'll be cute seeing him sit upright on the backseat...anyone else have success w/ this?
it is the med. size i think.

Louise1823
28th August 2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - Brian I love your pics - the girls look lovely and snug! (I hope they'll make room for Lily in there now! ;))

Im only in from a hectic day, but we finally have our jeep-meep! I LOVE it and cant wait to get the dogs sorted in it so we can take them on a road trip! :drivecar: