• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Minnies dice with Rat Poison

Sandrac

After a lovely day at the beach we decided to pop into some friends on our way home.
They were plagued with rats some time ago as their pesky neighbours keep leaving loads of food on the ground for the birds. Anyway they put a big dish of rat bait down and forgot all about it as it was hidden away at the end of the garden.
Well, you guessed, we had only been there a few minutes when Minnie came running up with turquoise staining all around her mouth - major panic:shock:. Got hold of our emergency vet but we were over 40 minutes away, so he told us to get hold of a local vet.

Found a vet hospital just 10 minutes away and we rushed her there, complete with rat bait containers.
When we arrived they immediately phoned the poisons unit - who thankfully said that she should be OK, but to induce vomiting.

So Minnie was taken off into the treatment room but decided she was not going to play ball and refused to vomit even after she had been given max amount of their vomit inducing liquid and came out of the room full of the joys of spring. :sl*p:

It was then decided to just give her a Vitamin K jab just in case of any side effects, but Vet was confident that she would be just fine. He said she would have had to have eaten at least 5 kilos of it to have been a real problem. However he has given us a details of what to look out for - so we will spend the next 24 hours watching her like a hawk.

Hi

What a horrible episode for you all you must have been out of your mind with worry till the all clear was given but so pleased it all turned out Ok .:)

What a dramatic end to your day! Hope that Minnie is still showing no ill effects from her snacking, sure it was wise to get her to a vets, just hope the vomit inducing liquid does't have a delayed effect!!:eek:

Oh No:(

My friends Springer spaniel ate rat poison last year,,,,,he died within about 2 hours it was awful.

You are so lucky.....and right to watch Minnie like a hawk

Mel

How terrible for you,im so glad Minnie is ok & hope youve recovered from the shock:hug:

I bet you were beside yourselves!

fingers crossed she continues to be ok, keep us posted on how she is.

:thnku: everybody. Minnie seems absolutely fine this morning with, thankfully, no after effects from her escapade yesterday.

Our poor friends were frantic with worry. My hubby said we should have asked if their garden was OK before we let the girls off - but who goes round to friends houses and asks "have you got any rat poison in your garden?" :eek:

Mind you I think we will now - lesson learned.

:thnku: everybody. Minnie seems absolutely fine . My hubby said we should have asked if their garden was OK before we let the girls off - but who goes round to friends houses and asks "have you got any rat poison in your garden?" :eek:

Mind you I think we will now - lesson learned.

I'm so glad Minnie is fine. What a scary day for you.

I must admit to asking friends about slug pellets when we go round, but hadn't considered rat poison!:yikes I might have to add that to my list to make me even more of a paranoid owner.:D

OMG...you are soooo lucky!! Rat poison (at least certain tops) are incredibly toxic and a very tiny amount can kill in an incredibly short period. Thank goodness Minnie is okay. Heck, I wouldn't hesitate to ask if it's okay to let my dogs offleash in a friend's yard. I'd even go as far as to walk the perimeter just to make sure it's totally safe. This wouldn't surprise any of my friends icon_whistling

So glad to hear she is OK. What a scary thing to have happen. Those little stinkers will eat about anything I think. :rolleyes:

Back