• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The dog hair! How do you cope???

waldor

After sixteen years with a Shih Tzu (they do not shed), we are now owned by our first Cavalier, Sophie. I had totally forgotten about shedding and hair. OMG! I am amazed over how much hair she sheds and cannot imagine having more than one in the house. There's even dog hair on the dashboard of DH's car, and she only rode in it once or twice. When I wash her bedding, the washing machine is coated in hair, not to mention the dryer filter. Ack! I can see I'll need to vacuum that stuff, first, before washing.

How on earth do you all cope? :eek:

I own three Dysons. :) Their Animal handheld is fantastic for spot cleaning -- most powerful handheld and the new one (which I am getting shortly) has a 10 minute charge. I can do my stairs with the handheld, it's so powerful.

Brushing daily helps enormously. Some use the Furminator to take out dead hair though use sparingly or you'll take out too much coat. Some coats also shed more and dogs in warmer climates or heated houses will shed more too.

Yes it can be surprising just how much hair can fall off a dog:p
Just brush her out of doors every day,especially when she's shedding, but not when your next door neighbour is having a barbeque( I discovered this the hard way).
Vacuum floors and bedding daily.
Vacuum curtains weekly.
When travelling in the car always keep her in a crate.
When neighbours come in try not to snigger when they've got their butts coated in doghairs from the couchicon_whistling.
My husband is insisting that our next cavalier must not be a wholecolour or Tricolour. Hoovering up chestnut and white hairs is enough.
Sins

Last edited:
I have to vacuum AT LEAST twice a day to keep on top of the hair, otherwise I have tumbleweeds on the timber floors :eek:
I find brushing daily helps enormously. My house is quite warm so mine shed quite a bit.
After washing the beds and blankets etc I run the washing machine on an empty wash and then I vacuum out the hairs when it dries. I also vacuum out the drier.
You get used to hair everywhere though. I would be surprised now to find no hair in my coffee in the mornings :lol:

I have to say,it doesnt bother me.I gave up yrs ago.Its not that bad.i think labs are far worse.

Just brush her out of doors every day,especially when she's shedding, but not when your next door neighbour is having a barbeque( I discovered this the hard way).

Sins

:eek: bet you were embarressed:eek:

Funny though :badgrin:

I brush mine everyday and a really good brushing once a week.

You get used to having hair in everything:)

It is a bit embarressing when visitors get hair on their clothes, but hey it's my house and I vaccum everyday,so it's not covered in days of hair, just as well or we'd be lost in it!

Most of my visitors have dogs of their own or love my dogs so don't care.

:eek:Mortified.I was grooming her on the picnic table out on the decking and was tossing tufts of fur into the breeze and they just went up up and away!!:D
I was invited to the BBQ anyway so a few nice bottles of red did a lot to repair my reputation as a good neighbour:cool:
Sins

I have tumbleweeds on the timber floors :eek:

I also vacuum out the drier.

Tumbleweeds - we call then this too! And I thought I was the only person who vacuums their dryer - it's a really good way to prevent hair trasfering onto the next load of clothes that are put in. Also, I find line drying the best way to get rid of hair off of their beds etc (although in Ireland this isn't always easy to do).

I put blankets over their beds (wrap them around them) and wash these once a week. I usually brush these while they are all on the clothes line with the soft side of on of their brushes to get as much hair off (this also works on the mat just inside the front door - the hair won't come off when hoovered).

Brushing the dogs, sweeping and hoovering (I would be lost without my Dyson Animal) is the best way to prevent hair all over the place but unfortunately hair is something that does have to be put up to an extent. People who come to my house know there will be hair, I don't appologise for it anymore, no point. People don't appologise to me when their children make a mess, spill stuff on me or if very young ones let me know what they have just had to eat :)eek:). They live in my house and I clean (a lot!) so I don't have anything to appologise for. (excuse the rant :rolleyes:)

People don't appologise to me when their children make a mess, spill stuff on me or if very young ones let me know what they have just had to eat

Yes that's just how I feel! I have had icky small hands placed on my nice clothes and one friend's baby projectile vomited onto one of my persian rugs while another's has spilled food over them :lol:. So my feelings are: if you come to my house, you get dogs,cats and hair. If you don't like that, or have allergies, then let's meet somewhere else.

:v*cuum:

Hi

Sins think of all the wild birds you are helping in the Spring with all that lovely cosy nesting material you are throwing to the wind ,theres an upside to everything.:)

And if you have bird feeders in your garden, don't forget to put some of the hair in those small string nets you get citrus fruit in, tie the top with string and hang them nearby. Oliver and Aled's hair keeps most of our local birds cosy in the winter and provides snug nurseries for the spring babies.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I have hard floors everywhere the dogs go except the study and rugs. Even after vaccuming with either the meille or dyson I have to get on my hands and knees with a damp sponge to get the residule dog hair off the carpets. I find that brushing vetbeds (both sides) before washing them gets rid of the worst of the hairs in moulting season.:)

I spend most of my time brushing,cleaning or picking up dog poop! What a life:D

My Abigail is a no shedder compared to our golden who leaves clumps of hair everywhere!:eek:
The golden gets a brushing several times a week while Abigail gets it everyday.

But neither compares to the black lab we once owned. Those short black hairs were everywhere and especially on her favorite couch.

Heather R

My lab owning friends say the same -- the hairs are like needles and get embedded everywhere and they shed like mad. I also find vacuuming dog beds, mats etc before washing helps.

Yes that's just how I feel! I have had icky small hands placed on my nice clothes and one friend's baby projectile vomited onto one of my persian rugs while another's has spilled food over them :lol:. So my feelings are: if you come to my house, you get dogs,cats and hair. If you don't like that, or have allergies, then let's meet somewhere else.

:v*cuum:

Or you could try pinning this up on the front door:

TO ALL NON-PET OWNERS WHO VISIT AND LIKE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT OUR PETS:

(1) They live here. You don't.
(2) If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it 'fur'-niture.
(3) I like my pets a lot better than I like most people.
(4) To you, they are animals. To me, they are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.

Remember, dogs and cats are better than kids because they

(1) eat less,
(2) don't ask for money all the time,
(3) are easier to train,
(4) normally come when called,
(5) never ask to drive the car,
(6) don't hang out with drug-using people,
(7) don't smoke or drink,
(8) don't want to wear your clothes,
(9) don't have to buy the latest fashions,
(10) don't need a gazillion dollars for college and
(11) if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

When my lab and aussie shepherd (heavy shedders) went to the bridge, I SWORE I would have a smaller dog next time, and the #1 thing about that new dog is that it would not be a shedder. :D When I was doing my research, Cavaliers were listed as "medium shedders" and that could be kept to a minimum with daily brushing. Now that I am owned by two of the little darlings, I know the evil truth! :rolleyes:h*lp:v*cuum:!!!! I keep my home very clean but have learned to live with the extra work. I have even taken to blowing into my coffee cups in the morning, in case one of their floaters has landed there!

However, because God made my girls so snuggable, adorable, loving and precious, I don't think twice about it now. I vaccuum and swiffer daily, installed pecan hardwood floors that makes for easy clean up in the main house, and added lovely multi blenheim colored carpeting in the rec room where we hang out the most. That was the best investment ever. So, if you have carpets, pick the color that will closest match the shedding dog hair so you won't go nuts between vacs. I also pick my wardrobe accordingly and rarely wear black around here. Yes, my dogs even dictate what I am wearing these days, bless their little pea pickin' hearts! :luv:

Back