• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need help with Fleas, and anyone used Prac-tic?/ natural products, what do you use?

Feebee

Ok my Puppy (4 months) was treated with Frontline Flea treatment, before i got him, he is due to be treated again on the 29th sept, the last few days i noticed him biting his legs a lot, and yesterday found a flea on him, it was nearly dead, went to pet store for advice, they couldn't find any more on him, but said because he just has had the treatment, we couldn't treat him again with this new product Prac-tic until 29th..

But this morning, i found another new one, and heaps of flea dirt on him, so is there any thing else i can do? (thinking maybe flea shampoo?) i really dont want to be reinvested with fleas at my house!

and what do you think of the product Prac-tic has anyone used it?

and what natural things do you use/ do please note im in New Zealand, so we dont get the same products as some of you guys overseas :)

Last edited:
I'd use flea shampoo.

Feedback I've had is holistic products don't do much.

If you want to avoid using something like frontline then I'd use a flea comb and shampoo. Some people say garlic works but it can cause tummy upset and in larger amounts is said to not be good for dogs.

For flea prevention I use brewers yeast and a spray (I think it's eucalyptus oil and water?) for when we go into the fields/woods. I don't use any chemicals...I know the effectiveness of brewers yeast is debatable, but (knock on wood!) I haven't had any issues with fleas...yet! Although, we live in a condominium in an urban area, and we really aren't in the fields/woods very often. So, depending on where you live and where you take your dog the "natural/chemical-free" way may work, and it may not...I think there are other shampoos besides flea shampoos that may work - I think lavender is a natural flea repellent, maybe there's a natural dog shampoo with lavender in it? Just a thought....

Here's one I found online (I haven't tried it): http://www.botanicaldog.com/products.php?cat=7

Here's a spray for flea control, with eucalyptus - I would make my own, it's a lot cheaper :) http://spadogbotanicals.com/dog-sprays

Back