• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lois getting spayed

shippers

Lois will be getting spayed on 11th Sept and also having her dew claws removed from her back paws. I just wanted to ask whether people on here think she will need pain medication after her op if they don't give me any? If so what would be best to ask for? Also I'm going to buy a couple of cheap baby vests to cover up her stitches to stop her picking at them because I'm sure she will do this. How do I fit her into the vest? I remember someone on here posting a photo and it looked really good but can't find it now.

I'm sure if she needs pain medication the vet will prescribe it. I can't remember if Mindy had anything when she was spayed but Max didn't need any pain meds when he was neutered (I know it's a less invasive procedure for the boys though).

Roxy didnt need any meds after her spay. Just dont let her jump up and down on furniture and she should be fine.
If you get a baby vest and cut a hole out for her tail, it will stop her from licking her stitches, though Roxy never bothered with hers.

Hi shippers

I have booked Lily in on the 22 nd Sept to be spayed and chipped so I will be thinking about you two on the 11 th ,Pops Daisy and Rosie were just very subdued girls after their ops but they had no pain control meds and they soon all recovered after a day or so.:)

spay surgery

Whenever I'm not sure about something like this I always think how I would react in a similar situation. If I had an abdominal surgery I would want pain meds for sure. I know vets routinely say that dogs don't feel pain the same way, but all I know is just because a dog doesn't express pain the same way a human does it doesn't mean they don't feel it. I consider any invasive procedure painful. My vet routinely suggests pain meds after surgery. Some people opt out cause its at an additional cost. I always request it for boys or girls.

Lois was spayed today and is feeling a bit under the weather. She also had her rear dew claws removed and has big red bandages on her back feet. At first the poor girl couldn't walk with the bandages but she has now got the hang of it and is walking around. The vet gave us Royal Canin chicken and rice to give her for dinner. She has eaten half a tin does this seem enough to eat for today? She never has wet food so unsure how much to feed? She weighs 5.5kg. The vet also gave us Rimadyl 10mg twice a day starting from tomorrow and Tribrissen 40mg twice a day. Does this seem reasonable medication? Going back on Monday for the dressing removed from her feet and hopefully things will be ok over the weekend.

Back