• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dew Claw Removal-Why

Brian M

Hi

I am totally ignorant on why people have dew claws removed ,can somebody explain pls.:confused:

I can only tell you what my mum used to tell me when i was little,that they can catch on anything and over grow and dig into their skin,thats about it.

Usually vets wouldn't recommend removal in an adult dog unless they were loose or had a history of injury or infection or injury.Sometimes when trimming nails it's easy to forget the dew claw.
Sins

Many breeders no longer remove dewclaws and in some breeds like pyrenees they are required to be left on for the breed standard so have never understood why they are routinely removed on pets (surely they are more likely to catch and be a problem when they are the size of a pyrenees?!). Rarely they will catch on something and get hurt -- the nail won't grow around unless it is never trimmed and should simply by clipped along with other nails. (y) Some take them off working dogs as they say they catch but people also say this about tails yet I know many people who hunt with dogs with dewclaws and tails with no problems. Many breeders now say removal causes too much pain as well when removed without anaesthetic :( on puppies. Sandy has posted about this.

Poor old Sam, a lab, is suffering from injury to a front dew claw and his owner is puzzled b'cuz he hardly ever moves very fast anymore. He does love a hug and kind words about it :).

We had Archies removed as it was deformed.But never had a problem with them,other than catching on soft furnishings etc.But wouldnt have them removed for no reason.

Hi

I am totally ignorant on why people have dew claws removed ,can somebody explain pls.:confused:

Like Karlin said, some breeds NEED dewclaws. They actually have a function and are connected to bone. With many of the toy breeds it is only connected by ligaments, sometimes not much more than skin is holding this easy to get snagged digit. Dogs (usually field dogs) have had horrible injuries when these digits get torn off like a huge hang nail, pulling skin off almost to the knee.

I had noticed that pups seemed to take a slight turn for the worse once the vet took the dews off and it left them with a greater chance for infection. I and others have decided to leave them on.

Mindy did have a dewclaw catch and rip completely off out in the yard. It was painful but it healed. I suppose it could have happened with any of her nails (I didn't see what she caught it on - just the blood and her yelping). Max has his and I have to say they are hard to trim. Rylie's were removed before we got him.

Our vet has advised us to have Lois's dew claws taken off her back paws when she is spayed on the 11th September. The vet first said this when Lois went to the vet for her first ever vaccine and she was examined all over. I wasn't quick enough to ask why she should only have the back dew claws removed and leave the front. I have booked Lois in for spaying but I will definitely asking more about the dew claws being removed before I sign anything. Our friends cav actually pulled her dew claw when playing on a field and ended up going to the out of hours surgery and the vet just pulled it off apparently their cav yelped in pain :(. I am thinking it might be worth removing them whilst she is having an anaesthetic for another procedure

Back