• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harringtons Dog Food

Dublin

Has anyone heard of this before?

I saw it in Tescos last night & it looks pretty good, I'm currently feeding mine part James Wellbeloved turkey & veg & this looks quite similar (although isnt cereal free like JWB) but a good bit cheaper - €3.69 for 2kgs as opposed to €10 for 1.5kg of JWB so I picked up a pack to have a look at it - It seems to have nice small kibble, ideal for my two & they seemed to like it.

For once a supermarket brand that seems quality - the first ingredient (on the pack - but not the website) is actually turkey! & it dosnt appear to have lots of additives either.

http://www.harringtonsdogfood.co.uk/turkey-veg.aspx Oddly the ingrediants are differant on the website than on the packaging! The packaging says turkey is the top ingredient & is min 26% I have emailed them to see which is right as it's quite a big difference!!

Last edited:
I just got this reply from Harringtons......

Dear Sonia,

Thank you for your email. Both the declaration on our bag and website are correct. This is because we have recently changed the recipe slightly and it looks like you have a bag made before the recipe change.

The percentage meat content of our food has not changed, however the blend of meat that we use has altered. You will notice that the meat content is now split in two with Turkey meat meal at a minimum of 14%. The remainder of the meat is a mixed meat meal which makes up the same minimum total of 26%. Maize is not added as a cheap filler. We only use wholegrain Maize in our food. This means that it still contains all the goodness of a wholegrain including good levels of protein and carbohydrate and is therefore an excellent source of slow release energy.

We believe the food is still good quality at a reasonable price and the product still meets the same high, internationally recognised nutritional standards. The ingredients have changed mainly due to market forces in the current economic climate. It has become increasing difficult to source some raw materials at the desired quality in sufficient quantities. The product still contains exactly the same total amounts of high quality meat and cereals only the blend of ingredients has changed.

I hope that this information has reassured you and that you will continue to use our products.

Kind regards

Helen Fothergill
Customer Services Manager

Harringtons
Tel: 00800 19232008

Hmmmm so maybe it's not quite as good now as I thought???

how did ya get on with it,was thinking of giving it a try,as its considerably cheaper than the JWB im using at the moment,but im sceptical about it being so cheap and just being a comercial dog food in a fancy bag

how did ya get on with it,was thinking of giving it a try,as its considerably cheaper than the JWB im using at the moment,but im sceptical about it being so cheap and just being a comercial dog food in a fancy bag

Why not go back to Tescos and compare the percentages of meat and other major ingredients in the various foods? If most of the others use less than, say, 25 percent meat, then you may be looking at a quality food at a reasonable price. Beware the 'EC permitted ingredients and flavour enhancers'. I would also wonder what the sugar and salt contents of each food was too.

Royal Canin is very popular with show people and good breeders, for a very good reason. What they put into the dog influences the appearance and health of the dog it goes into and RC, though expensive, passes the test on both counts.

I would stick with James wellbeloved, i have seen the food in Tesco's and form looking at the ingredients list, i wouldn't go near it tbh. Meal is just a bi-product and isn't even considered as 'meat' as it also contains ash and other nasty things. Also dogs don't eat grain in the wild so their digestive system isn't designed to digest it, so any grain even if it is 'whole grain' isn't digested at all. So... IMO, stick with the James w. ;)

Hrringtons.

Composition: Maize, Lamb Meat Meal (min 14%), Barley, Rice (min 14%), Meat Meal, Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat, Digest, Vitamins & Minerals, Linseed, Kelp (0.2%), Yeast (0.1%), Citrus Extract (0.04%) & Yucca Extract (0.01%).[/SIZE]
Additives (per kg): Vitamins: Vitamin A (E672) 12,000 iu, Vitamin D3 (E671) 1,200 iu, Vitamin E (E307) 150 mg. Trace Elements: E1 Iron (iron III ferric oxide) 790 mg, E2 Iodine (calcium iodate) 2 mg, E4 Copper (cupric sulphate pentahydrate) 10 mg, E5 Manganese (manganous oxide) 50 mg, E6 Zinc (zinc oxide) 40 mg, E6 Zinc (zinc chelate) 60 mg, E8 Selenium (sodium selenite) 0.1 mg. Antioxidant (contains tocopherol rich extracts - a natural antioxidant).[/SIZE]
Analytical Constituents: Protein 21%, Fat Content 10%, Crude Fibre 3%, Crude Ash 8.5%, Omega 6, 1.6%, Omega 3, 0.4%.[/SIZE]

JWB

Ingredients and analysis

Ingredients: Rice, lamb meat meal, ground whole barley, whole linseed, lamb fat, lamb gravy, sugar beet pulp, alfalfa, sodium chloride, natural seaweed, calcium carbonate, chicory extract, lysine, D,L-methionine, yucca extract, threonine, JWB special ingredients.
Contains: Min 26% lamb, min 26% rice, min 14% barley.
Typical analysis: Protein 20%, oil 10%, fibre 4%, ash 8.5%, omega-3 fatty acids 1.1%, omega 6 fatty acids 1.1%.

anyone explain the diferences they look prety similar,apart from the higher content of meat.,what do they mean by crude?thier does seem to be alot of additives.

Back