• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog World Cavalier Breed Notes

Bet

Just noticed that Norma Inglis is now no longer doing the Cavalier Breed Notes for Dog World,

I have contacted DW ,and been told they are looking into it.

I do hope when there is a replacement ,that the Cavalier Pet Owners will now be considered in the Breed Notes ,that there is more to having a Cavalier than just Showing and Winning in the Show Ring .

Bet(Hargreaves)

Sorry about this Folks, just had N Inglis phone me saying she always mentioned about things in her Cavalier Breed Notes that would interest us Cavalier Pet Owners.

Since I really have no interest in who or what Cavalier is Winning, I did'nt pay much attention to the Breed Notes,so as she has just said she did, I she must have.

I just don't know how much information was given to the SM Problem in the Cavalier Breed Notes,about 10 years ago to Cavalier Pet Owners who were insisting that there was a serious Neurological Problem in our Breed,just maybe ,and I don't know what is happening, but hopefully the List Norma is now doing the Cavalier Breed notes for, will give a List of Cavalier Breeders who are Health Testing the Cavalier Breeding Stock for both MVD and SM ,so that prospective Cavalier Buyers will know who to contact when wanting a Cavalier.

I know that all the Health Testing in the World won't guarantee a Cavalier a Healthy ,Longer Life, but at least the Cavalier Buyer will know that are dealing with a Breeder who is trying to improve the Healthof Cavaliers.

There is a lot of upheaval in the Cavalier show world at the moment.............

The breed note writer for the weekly 'Dog World' paper seems to have suddenly stopped writing for the paper. Perhaps she will have more poetic licence where she is now?

Another well known breeder has written a little too much in a post to a cavalier Internet list, managing in a couple of sentences to libel a judge and another exhibitor and trying to influence the judging by an overseas visitor.

Another judge has received an anonymous letter suggesting she should just post the top award to the owner of a winning show bitch.

A well known health representative is rumoured to have resigned after complaints about her internet posts attacking one of the UK's leading cardiologists.

Fascinating stuff......... you couldn't make it up if you tried.

Now that there is to be a New Breed Notes Writer for our Cavalier Breed, as well as asking Steve Mynott,to allow Norma to publish a List in her Breed Notes for him to publish a List of Cavalier Breeders who do Health Tests on their Cavalier Breeding Stock for the two most serious Diseases afflicting Cavaliers at the Moment ,if the Editor of Dog World could be asked to do the same.

There is just nothing on the UK CKCS CLUB WEB SITE, about a List of those Breeders.

A list of Cavalier Breeders who test their breeding stock would be wonderful. As hard as it would be to 'police' if it could be done, and I think with effort it could, it would be a great step in the rght direction.

Well I for one will miss Norma's breed notes on Dogworld.
Whoever takes up the role will have a hard act to follow.
Whether you agreed or disagreed with the content(If I recall I disagreed a lot:p!!),you'd be hard pressed to find a better round up of events in the cavalier calendar or in any other breed calendar for that matter.
Her notes generated controversy,provoked intense debate (and many a good snowball fight)while also managing to combine general content,from obituaries to show successes,get well wishes and lost cavaliers.
I'm sure she'll continue to do the same no matter where her Column is hosted.
As for her succesor, let the speculation commence!!
Anyone prepared to open a book and take bets.
Bet Hargreaves 66/1............*runs and hides*.......:grin:
Never let it be said that the cavalier world is boring.....
Sins

I don't know whether I should be mentioning this, but I had a look at the CC List, I sure am getting slated, why folk cant argue without getting personal, I just can't understand.

One good suggestion has appeared though ,that Margaret be the new DW Cavalier Breed Columnist ,I would second that.

Maybe she could get the DW Editor interested in publishing a List of Cavalier Breeders who do carry out Health Tests on their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

At the moment no-body seems to want to.

In fairness to Norma, she was happy to publicise my Cavalier Fun Day last April - and to include my report on it afterwards, including Margaret's comment on the Best in Show. Have pet people been sending her information about, for example, wins at Companion Shows (as appear in other breed notes in DW) or at obedience? And the monthly Companion Page on the CKCS Club website is happy to have contributions from pet owners - they had a bit about Oliver doing competition obedience, and also publicised the Fun Day. But they can't include items if you don't send them.

I doubt if any paper would publish a list of breeders who do health checks - too controversial and too much like free advertising! The CKCS website has a list of Cavaliers who have been scanned - it's voluntary and omits the result of the scan, but at least it can lead you to breeders who scan and you can insist on seeing the result. Not all the dogs on the list are big show winners - Oliver's on it, and a lot of smaller breeders. Apart from Margaret's private list, I noticed a marked increase in adverts in this year's CKCS Year Book by breeders who scan. Perhaps they're beginning to realise that it's a selling point - a message we can all help to get across.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Kate

Thats exactly how I found Lily a couple of weeks ago ,started first with Margarets list and together with the breeders list on the club website and cross checking everything with the list of scanned Cavs and after many calls and emails found my little black and tan who had Grade A mri scanned parents and also ticked all the other boxes .It did surprise me a bit how many breeders do scan and know it is the only way forward so the future does look brighter and as you say it is a big selling point .
Personaly I think sins would be good choice for the breed notes or we could have joint representation from CT members ie M C and B H and Mark m and sins.:)
and of course Pauline as well.:)

Oh Yes a CT committee to write the breed notes:D
Just calculating the odds on that CV arriving on DW publisher's desk..
and the computer says......
3.6 million to one.
More likelihood of Alien abduction,spontaneous human combustion or an Airbus being piloted by a pig.Very funny Brian:rolleyes:
Nope Bet still looks good at 66/1
Sins

Sins

Well that mad scientist brother of mine has assured me that aliens do exist this was also confirmed by one of the Lunar astronauts so you be careful out there ,but I dont know anything about human combustion :confused:or Airbus pilots :confused:but I can check with our Poppy :cool:,I thought that committee looked fine.:)

Hi Kate

Thats exactly how I found Lily a couple of weeks ago ,started first with Margarets list and together with the breeders list on the club website and cross checking everything with the list of scanned Cavs and after many calls and emails found my little black and tan who had Grade A mri scanned parents and also ticked all the other boxes .It did surprise me a bit how many breeders do scan and know it is the only way forward so the future does look brighter and as you say it is a big selling point .
Personaly I think sins would be good choice for the breed notes or we could have joint representation from CT members ie M C and B H and Mark m and sins.:)
and of course Pauline as well.:)

Include Karlin, Kate, Nicki, yourself and half a dozen others that contribute to this list & you have a Cavalier Dream Team!

Hi Margaret

And if anybody disagrees Grumpy Old William and Narky Nics Daisy will sort them.:eek::eek:

Have to add that Norma was kind enough to let me write something for the breed notes last year, can't say fairer than that, after all, we didn't start off on the right foot. There was plenty about Cavalier pets in the Breed Notes. I don't know how Norma managed week after week to come up with interesting things to write, I couldn't have done it.

I'll tell you who does write a good story, and that's Nanette. Remember the story of her husband jumping in the lake and saving her Cavalier and walking home in his pants because he wrapped the dog up in his shirt.

Sinead is very witty and knowledgeable, she'd be good too, health focussed, knows whose who.

Margaret writes fun stories too, remember Fonzi.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all help out the new Breed Notes writer, whoever they are, with our stories, there are so many on here, ones that make you laugh and ones that make you cry.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be nice if we all help out the new Breed Notes writer, whoever they are, with our stories, there are so many on here, ones that make you laugh and ones that make you cry.

Now that's a very good idea Pauline.Of course the new candidate may wish to keep it strictly show related but if they wish to broaden the scope as Norma did,then certainly there are members here,both pet owner and exhibitor who have interesting cavalier experiences to share.There are plenty of dogworld subscribers floating around. Norma also has the space in her new role with Cavaliers.co.uk to include pet focused contributions.
Sins

I don't think any one can disagree at the moment that the Cavalier World is in a mess.

The first priority is the Health of our Cavalier Breed,then there is the attitude of some Cavalier Breeders,who are complaining that the Breed has been given Bad Media Coverage.

If the Cavalier Breed had no Health Problems would there have been any notice taken about it.That is the answer in a Nut Shell ,there would have been no notice taken!

For years it has been the Breeders Know Best Attitude ,and just would not listen to us Cavalier Pet Owners when we were trying to tell Cavalier Breeders our Cavaliers were suffering from Health Problems that we are where we are to-day.

Now when we complain about the Health of our Breed we are accused of damaging it.

What we Cavalier Pet Owners want ,is to have the chance of our Cavaliers having Healthier, Longer Lives.,not just a Hit or a Miss with their Health.

I have asked this before ,why does the UK CKCS CLUB not say on their MRI SCAN LIST, which Cavaliers don't have a good Scan Result, which Cavaliers also have no signs of MVD on a Heart List.

It's no use the excuse being given , well the Prospective Cavalier Buyer has only to ask the Cavalier Breeder these questions, the response from some Breeders leaves a lot to be desired,

I will say again ,if Steve Mynott ,now that Norma has a Column on his Web Site ,would give a List of Cavalier Breeders who do carry out Health Tests on their Cavalier Breeding Stock, it would save some Cavalier Pet Buyers being humilated when asking whether the Breeder Health Tested or not.

Norma has said she want's to provide the Lovers of our Cavalier Breed with up-to-date News ,what could be being more News Worthy than a List of Cavalier Breeders who Health Test their Breeding Stock.

Well I for one will miss Norma's breed notes on Dogworld.
Whoever takes up the role will have a hard act to follow.
Whether you agreed or disagreed with the content(If I recall I disagreed a lot:p!!),you'd be hard pressed to find a better round up of events in the cavalier calendar or in any other breed calendar for that matter.
Her notes generated controversy,provoked intense debate (and many a good snowball fight)while also managing to combine general content,from obituaries to show successes,get well wishes and lost cavaliers.
I'm sure she'll continue to do the same no matter where her Column is hosted.
Sins

I agree that Norma is a clever writer and her breed notes were always interesting.

I wonder why she has taken this step?
Perhaps it was an editorial decision. Her new position will scarcely give her the wide readership that the position of breed note writer for the most popular UK dog paper offered.

I must confess that I have always found the lack of balance in some of Norma's articles frustrating. The lack of health information was glaringly obvious to any one concerned with such issues and the only mention of SM or MRI guidelines seemed always designed to raise doubt and concern about the procedure.

There is such an article in her current notes. I hope Norma will make it known that this information is glaringly incorrect, as the writer obviously does not know that no contrast agent is used in mini MRIs.

Norma's move to this privately owned and rather out of date website ( just look at the articles ) means nobody else will now have the chance to correct any misinformation, or add their own comments, to Norma's notes.

Perhaps that is what makes this demotion worthwhile?

MY hubby used to work for a pharmaceutical company who manufactured the contrast media for Mri scans.It's not cheap to produce a sterile injectible pharmaceutical product and each bottle was approx £200 about eight years ago.
Not sure what current prices are but it would greatly add to the cost of a scan and would defeat the purpose of offering them at low cost.(methinks)
Sins

I have just read the Article that Margaret has referred to where Norma has given the information about the Contrast Agent being used for MRI Scans.

This could'nt be a ploy for the Anti - Brigade for their excuse not to MRI Scan their Cavaliers for SM.

This very dangerous I think ,for Norma , OK ,she says it's her opinion ,to be mentioning that Vets are aggressively Marketing MRI Scanning ,and not to be telling the Owners of Cavaliers that their Cavaliers will be injected with a hugely Toxic Contrast Agent into the Dog's Veins for Enhancement of Image

Just wondering ,does Norma agree with MRI Scanning her Cavaliers for SM, at least there was maybe a chance of querying her about this when she was involved with writing the Cavalier Breed Notes for Dog World, but with her new involvement , no chance.

What about the Owner of the Web Site's Views, I notice all Dr C. Rusbridge's ,Neurologist, Articles have been removed.

Does Norma mean ,when she says she is Completely Agin, regarding MRI Scans .what are we to think...........

Back