• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flea Products

LisaluvzCav

Hi everyone, Im just wondering what flea products you all use? I've been using Bob Martin Spot on and I've only used this twice in 4 weeks but I have become aware that it contains Permethrin which can be harmful for dogs :eek: I didn't relise this. Clara seems fine but I don't know if i should use this again? Has anybody used this product before? Any suggestions on good flea and tick products? :thnx:

Ive never seen a tick before but its some im constanly worrying about. What do they look like? Can they kill a dog?

Hi Lisa,
Did your breeder give you a schedule for vaccinations/worming or de fleaing?
Most of the supermarket brands are useless anyway and I would suggest dropping down to your local vet and get a product like stronghold which you apply between the shoulderblades,especially if she wasn't wormed/deflead since you brought her home.This shouldn't cost more than €14 over the counter if you don't go into the vet for a consultation.
Don't worry about ticks Lisa until she's older and getting out and about.
We have a little woodland loving cavalier here who picked up ticks last summer and ended up on antibiotics after getting a few passengers on a gallop through the woods.Ticks can be hard to dislodge and can cause an infection..Frontline plus works on ticks but you don't need to be overdosing unnecessarily on these products.Anyway not too many ticks in this weather, I think they've drowned.
If you haven't had your puppy for a vet check since you bought her, maybe a trip to the vet could be organised and get all the vaccinations and worming/flea advice sorted out.
Sins

Hi Lisa,
Did your breeder give you a schedule for vaccinations/worming or de fleaing?
Most of the supermarket brands are useless anyway and I would suggest dropping down to your local vet and get a product like stronghold which you apply between the shoulderblades,especially if she wasn't wormed/deflead since you brought her home.This shouldn't cost more than €14 over the counter if you don't go into the vet for a consultation.
Don't worry about ticks Lisa until she's older and getting out and about.
We have a little woodland loving cavalier here who picked up ticks last summer and ended up on antibiotics after getting a few passengers on a gallop through the woods.Ticks can be hard to dislodge and can cause an infection..Frontline plus works on ticks but you don't need to be overdosing unnecessarily on these products.Anyway not too many ticks in this weather, I think they've drowned.
If you haven't had your puppy for a vet check since you bought her, maybe a trip to the vet could be organised and get all the vaccinations and worming/flea advice sorted out.
Sins

Yes he did. She was wormed before we got her but not flead. She has been to the vets twice since we bought her. First was about her sore paw and then we asked the vet what he would recommend for fleas as she had bad fleas and we only had her 2 days at this time. He recommended Bob Martin which is what i have been using. Anyway they seemed to disappear. Last time we brought her to the vet she was wormed, had her vaccanation and had her ears cleaned out as she did have ear mites. She has been out the back most days and the reason im so concerned with the ticks is my cousins yorkie was in a terrible way from a tick a few weeks ago. Thanks for all the info and I will be going to vets on the 17th and will get a flea solution.:)

Yeah, if she had earmites I would use stronghold.That kills mites,fleas and some worms.It's a good all rounder so next time she's due her worming/defleaing maybe try that one.You can check for mites yourself when you look in her ears, you'll see a brown waxy substance and if it returns quickly after you clean it out it could be caused by mites.
Sins

Supposedly, with Frontline Plus which you administer between their shoulder blades once a month, they can still get ticks, but the medication will kill the tick before it can transmit any disease. Like i said, my dogs have never had fleas - and I used it for 12 years on my German Shepherd and now Oliver has been using it for 8 years - and I only saw that one tick on Riley. It was right between her eyebrows and I thought it was a skin flap at first. I just got tweezers and gently pulled it out and then swabbed the area with alcohol. And she was and is fine.

I've been using Frontline Plus on Zoe and Riley and haven't been very impressed. We haven't had an infestation but I am always finding one or two fleas on Zoe. My son gets eaten alive by fleas so any in our house is bad news. I have heard that it is not as effective as it used to be, maybe they are becoming resistant to this med. I just used my last dose and won't be buying it next month.
-Osanna and Zoe

Have been using Revolution for the last year on the girls, covers fleas, ticks, mites and heartworm tx all in one spot. I have mosquitos here so I feel it is necessary. Never seen any fleas or ticks once I have started treatment.

Back