• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New addition!!

Karen and Ruby

icon_welcome
WANTING TO WELCOME LITTLE CHARLIE TO OUR FAMILY- WE ARE HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THAT WE WERE ALLOWED TO ADOPT HIM AND HE IS SOUND ASLEEP IN HIS NEW BED!!!!!!

KAREN, RUBY AND CHARLIE!!:mexwav:

Ah thanks so much

Keeping a VERY close eye on him at the momment. He has peed up my sofa already but Ruby seems to really like him. she has been trying to play with him but he is a bit nervous of eveything at the momment!
He has had something to eat and we've all had a walk together!

Karen, Ruby and Charlie!:p

Congratulations on your new addition:pi*no:Hope to see photos!

Are you crate training Charlie? That or keeping him in a small space where you can watch him will help with the house training.

Heather R

He is toilet trained and crate trained which we are continuing but I think its more about him trying to mark his own around the place as Ruby is quite a submissive dog. Although saying that she certainly told him where to go when he tryed humping her- he isnt neutered as yet as he is very anxious and nervy so we are going to let him settle in and chill out before we get his furry plums taken away!! LOL

Karen, Rubes and Charlie xx

He is my first boy dog and his little lipstick is freaking me out a little he he he

Well we had an interesting 1st night- he shredded the blanket we put in his crate and spent a good 20 mins complaining about being put to bed but he slept all night and didnt make a sound this morning. I got up and let him out in the garden at 8am and he spent a while out there with Ruby. He is becoming more confident by the second and even played with a toy with me this morning.
I do see a hint of seperation anxiety creeping in so we will be crating him for all his naps today and spend lots of time getting him used to being left.
All in all he is settling in really well and has fallen in love with Rubes already- im not sure the feeling is mutual yet and I am witnessing a fair amount of behaviours that they are trying to sort out the rankings between them.(y)
I shall leave them to it and make sure he learns his place whereer he is as being 9 months he is sure to test the waters a bit!!

karen, ruby and little charlie!!

Please don't be concerned about 'rankings' -- they really will not be doing this as one is female and one is male. This is just one dog who is established making it clear she doesn't care for an overly playful younger dog (so there's also a rudeness factor that is normal for puppies but which older dogs sometimes don't care for). Even if they were the same gender and thus finding a pecking order, you wouldn't see this even begin to happen til he is sexually mature several months from now, not while he is only a puppy. :) This just sounds like normal playing and settling in. 'Rank' is extremely complex anyway and most of what humans see, they misinterpet because they think outgoing behaviour (eg taking toys, grabbing things, initiating play) indicates the so-called 'dominant' dog when actually it usually is just the opposite. The 'pack leader' is almost always the quieter dog that allows things to be taken from him/her. Everyone who comes to my house thinks Jaspar is the 'leader' because of these very common misinterpretations, but he isn't -- it is Leo, who is smaller, quieter, and gentler.

Ruby may be submissive to you as human owners, but that will often have no bearing at all to what she is like with other dogs, especially those that are a bit too in-your-face for her on first meetings. You do have an additional concern though -- keep in mind that as she has SM and definitely experiences pain because of it, you need to control his access to her as well and assess their actual relationship and how happy she is with a lively young male dog -- she may really not be comfortable and even find it painful to have a pup jumping around on her neck/head/body. So this may be part of her reaction you are seeing too. You will need to gauge their relationship as they settle in -- if she is really bothered by body contact you will need to keep him under control around her at all times (eg penned off or on a lead). He may likely settle more as he gets a bit older but if he is overly lively this will demand a lot of management by you whenever they are together to keep her comfortable as she has to be the priority, given her medical condition. (y)

Ruby will probably find a way to get out of Charlie's way when he's being puppy annoying. Riley goes under a table or a chair when Oz is being playful. He loves to pull on her ears, and because of the SM she really dislikes that. So, she removes herself from his reach. She is very comfortable doing it. Sometimes even when he's being rowdy with one of the other dogs, she'll go to her safe space just in case. When they're out in the yard and he goes in for a body slam, I just pick her up and bring her inside. Have to watch that little boy - at two, he is still a little pistol and full of beans! I hope you have fun with them. Pictures, please!

Shes a funny one and is stealing everything off him. He certianly wants to play but she is sooo noisy when she plays that he isnt quite sure at the momment.
Im doing my upmost to learn what they are up to with numerous books and pictures from the stuff I have from doing the degree in canine care and behaviour.
Its intersting that it isnt ranking behaviour, I thought it would be as he has been trying to mount her which she certainly told him off for. She seems to be handling herself quite well so far but they are seperated on and off throughout the day- he naps in his crate and we have the baby gate up so that she can get away if she wants to. He is very respectful when she is resting and doesnt bother her but he certainly has lots of energy and has been chasing her tail and trys to get it.
By submissive she isnt around humans but is around other dogs - well larger dogs more so. She gets on very well with dogs of similer size and temperament and she tryed to play with Charlie with in an hour of us all coming home.
He seems to have a fairly similer temperament to Rubes from what ive witnessed but its certainly early days but they will be seperated when not supervised and I certianly will always have Rubys best interests at the forfront of my mind and she is very good at 'letting me know' what she wants and when she wants it!
Thanks for your best wishes and I will keep you all updated on how everything is going!!

Karen, Rubes and Charlie

She is doing very well and so is he thank goodness. He isnt bothering her at all when she is resting and he is having his naps in his crate through out the day so she has plenty of time to herself. She is having a walk by herself also which is nice for us as we still do our training and bits when we are out and about and he would get in the way. They will be seperated when not supervised also x

He does get excitable and chase her tail (and his own) but she told him off and he stopped- he doesnt seem to have very good 'dog speak' yet but im sure he will learn with time.
He health is, and always will be my top priority as I love her too much for it not to be and there are parts of the house that he isnt allowed in (all the while he is marking at leasticon_blshing) So she has plenty of places to escape to.
Its all a learning experience for all of us at the momment so all of your help and expertise is very much appreciated :)

We will keep you all posted and as soon as I find my camera lead I will load up some piccies!

Karen, Rubes and Charliexx

She is doing very well and so is he thank goodness. He isnt bothering her at all when she is resting and he is having his naps in his crate through out the day so she has plenty of time to herself. She is having a walk by herself also which is nice for us as we still do our training and bits when we are out and about and he would get in the way. They will be seperated when not supervised also x

He does get excitable and chase her tail (and his own) but she told him off and he stopped- he doesnt seem to have very good 'dog speak' yet but im sure he will learn with time.
He health is, and always will be my top priority as I love her too much for it not to be and there are parts of the house that he isnt allowed in (all the while he is marking at leasticon_blshing) So she has plenty of places to escape to.
Its all a learning experience for all of us at the momment so all of your help and expertise is very much appreciated :)

We will keep you all posted and as soon as I find my camera lead I will load up some piccies!

Karen, Rubes and Charliexx

I didnt knnow that last post had worked as my net disconnected as I posted so It came up that it hadnt worked so sorryy they are so similer!!!

Congratulations Karen. Glad to hear he is settling in well. Looking forward to seeing lots of pics :p

As promised a piccie!!!

3955763351_536352824c.jpg

Back