PDA

View Full Version : How to keep ears from tangling?

MishathePooh
25th September 2009, 01:09 AM
Misha likes to give his muzzle and ears a good rub on the carpet particularly after eating. Problem is after about 3 rubs, there are untangleable mats in his ears. They are quite ragged at this point from having to cut out mats. I was away for 10 days and I came back to a 2"x2" mat in one of his ears. Help!

jld
25th September 2009, 01:58 AM
Oh my gosh....we are leaving on an eight day trip,and I am terrified of the tangles in Dixie's ears when we return. If I don't keep on top of them, they are a mess and, like you I have had to cut so many out of her ears. I am afraid she won't have any ears left. I would love some suggestions too.:x

Margaret C
25th September 2009, 08:27 PM
I was told rubbing in a little hair conditioner would prevent matted ears.
I have not tried it, so cannot say if it works.

Karen and Ruby
25th September 2009, 08:31 PM
I decided after thinking long and hard that clipping the hair under the ears was the best option for Ruby. She scratches alot with the SM and it is unfair to expect her to sit and have me brush knots from her ears!
I clip all the fluffy type hair away and just keep the ears long where it is visible.
It doesnt make her look any less a Cav and its more managable for me and more impotantly Ruby!!

Karen, Ruby and Charlie

Karen and Ruby
25th September 2009, 08:31 PM
I decided after thinking long and hard that clipping the hair under the ears was the best option for Ruby. She scratches alot with the SM and it is unfair to expect her to sit and have me brush knots from her ears!
I clip all the fluffy type hair away and just keep the ears long where it is visible.
It doesnt make her look any less a Cav and its more managable for me and more impotantly Ruby!!

Karen, Ruby and Charlie

heather r
25th September 2009, 09:06 PM
I Cut hair near ears ; cut out bad mats and try to comb and brush ears every day. Otherwise Abigail is a mess. Our golden with her thick coat doesn't seem to get mats even though I only brush her twice a week.

Heather R

SamT
25th September 2009, 10:07 PM
We get the groomer to cut our dogs hair short and their ears. Sam was forever eating and chewing his ears so I has to always cut mats and knots out of them. Unfortunately I dont have time to be brushing their ears etc with 1 kid and one on the way and a husband to look after oh and the two dogs!!! I think they look well with short hair.

Sam after his beauty day at the groomers:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=35&pictureid=1563